Problem with monitor - driver

• Thread starter shaan_aragorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monitor
In summary, the new cpu I bought does not work with my old monitor. The old monitor does not work with the new system with software drivers installed. I have to use it otherherwise, without software driver support as a plug and play device. As a result I cannot take complete advantage of the system, ie cannot play 3d games or watch dvd quality movies.
shaan_aragorn
I recently bought a new cpu - a core 2 Duo E6550 @2.33Ghz. The board model is Intel Desktop Board DG33FB. But I kept my old monitor, a Samsung Samtron 45Bn, bought way back in 1999. The monitor does not work with the new system with software drivers installed. I have to use it otherherwise, without software driver support as a plug and play device. As a result I cannot take complete advantage of the system, ie cannot play 3d games or watch dvd quality movies.
Please help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should not need drivers of any sort to run a normal VGA-compliant monitor. When you plug the monitor into the computer, and turn both on, what exactly happens? Does anything show up on the screen at all?

If you can see things on the screen, but your game performance is bad, then it's your graphics card, not your monitor, that needs to be investigated.

- Warren

True. You may also need more memory in your computer. That happened to me, and with more memory, it all worked out perfectly.

It may be that the Intel board above has a "Graphics Media Accelerator 3100".
http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/video-audio-cards-mce/25323-intel-graphics-media-accelerator-3100-onboard-graphics.html

@chroot: I do see things on my monitor when i turn on my computer but when i install the drivers that came with the motherboard the screen turns blank as soon as windows loads. i can hear the startup sound of windows. Then if i uninstall the drivers ( by going in safe mode first), the monitor works fine but without nice graphics.
I have plenty of memory to play games because i plugged my machine to a newer monitor and everythings fine. So no question of less memory. Also, i do not have a separate graphics card, its on board.

@Dst: i meant the CPU, The board and everything that comes with the board (including the case), next time i'll be careful

Again, your monitor has nothing to do with this problem. It's something to do with your graphics card. Can you tell us more about what card you're using, and what drivers you're using?

- Warren

1. What is a monitor driver and why is it important?

A monitor driver is a software program that allows a computer to communicate with a monitor and display images and other visual content. It is important because without it, the computer and monitor may not be able to properly communicate and display images correctly.

2. How can I tell if my monitor driver is causing problems?

If your monitor is displaying distorted images, colors are incorrect, or the screen resolution is not optimal, these could be signs that there is an issue with your monitor driver. You can also check the device manager on your computer to see if there are any errors or conflicts with the monitor driver.

3. Can I update my monitor driver?

Yes, you can update your monitor driver. You can either do it manually by downloading the latest driver from the manufacturer's website and installing it, or you can use a driver update software to automatically update all your drivers.

4. What should I do if updating my monitor driver doesn't fix the problem?

If updating your monitor driver does not solve the issue, you may need to troubleshoot further. This could include checking the connections between your computer and monitor, adjusting display settings, or even replacing the monitor itself.

5. Are there any other common causes of monitor problems besides the driver?

Yes, there can be other causes of monitor problems, such as a faulty monitor cable, incorrect display settings, or even hardware issues with the monitor itself. It is important to troubleshoot and rule out other potential causes before assuming it is a problem with the monitor driver.