Help with the physics of optical illusions

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of explaining the physics behind optical illusions. Despite the initial request for help, it is suggested that the individual should try to understand the topic themselves before seeking assistance. It is then clarified that optical illusions are actually related to the psychology of human perception and brain processing. The conversation ends with a request for the individual to share the images they plan to use for further assistance.
jj2006
I really don't know how I can speak about the physics in optical illusions. basically all I need is just 3 images and to explain the physics behind it. Can anyone help?

Science news on Phys.org
You really need to do something, anything, yourself before we can help

I tried. I got the 3 images, just I can't explain the physics behind it. I spent hours and hours.

That's becasue it's not physics- it's how the brain decodes the images in an effort to make sense.

Exactly right, it's all about the psychology of human perception and brain processing. An interesting enough topic all to itself.

I don't know which illusion you are using, but here's a really simple example:

Say you have a glass of water with a straw in it.

Why does the straw get "cut" sometimes? Does the angle of the straw matter? Does the angle of the light? What about the angle of the viewer? Does the same thing happen with sound?

DavidSnider said:
I don't know which illusion you are using, but here's a really simple example:

Say you have a glass of water with a straw in it.

Why does the straw get "cut" sometimes? Does the angle of the straw matter? Does the angle of the light? What about the angle of the viewer? Does the same thing happen with sound?

Is that really an 'optical illusion'? I'm not so sure... It looks odd, but I think it's a little different from cognitive illusions:

http://www.world-mysteries.com/illusions/sci_illusions3.htm

The OP did not give us the images (s)he is trying to explain

Can anyone help through MSN Yahoo or so? Please! Not really physics but scientific or so.

Can you show us the images you plan to use? We can't really help you unless you do that.

1. What causes optical illusions?

Optical illusions are caused by the way our brains interpret visual information. They occur when our brains make assumptions or fill in missing information based on past experiences or biases.

2. How do optical illusions work?

Optical illusions work by manipulating our perception of visual information. They often use techniques such as distortion, contrast, or perspective to trick our brains into seeing something that is not actually there.

3. Can optical illusions be explained by physics?

Yes, optical illusions can be explained by physics. They involve the interaction between light, the human eye, and the brain. Understanding the principles of physics, such as how light travels and how the eye processes visual information, can help explain how optical illusions work.

4. Are all optical illusions the same?

No, there are many different types of optical illusions. They can be classified as geometric, physiological, cognitive, or ambiguous, and each type works in a different way to create the illusion.

5. How can understanding the physics of optical illusions be useful?

Understanding the physics behind optical illusions can be useful in many fields, such as design, advertising, and entertainment. It can also help us understand how our brains process visual information and how we perceive the world around us.