Projectile Motion given angle and distance, find intial velocity

In summary, the conversation involves an individual trying to calculate the speed of an arrow shot from a bow in an archery tournament. They use equations for horizontal and vertical distance as functions of time, but struggle with solving for the initial velocity due to having too many unknowns. They are advised to use the tangent function to solve for a third equation and ultimately solve for the initial velocity.
ScullyX51

Homework Statement

You are watching an archery tournament when you start wondering how fast an arrow is shot from the bow. Remembering your physics, you ask one of the archers to shoot an arrow parallel to the ground. You find the arrow stuck in the ground 58.0 m away, making a 3.00 degree angle with the ground.

Homework Equations

x(t)= x(0) + Vx[0]T
V(Y)= Vy[0]Sin(theta) - 1/2gt^2
V(x)= Vx[0]cos(theta)t

The Attempt at a Solution

x(t)= Vx[0]t
58= Vx[0]cos(3)t
t= 58/ Vx[0]cos(3)

I know I should then plug this into the y component equation, but I thrown off since there is no height given. I end up with too many variables. I am very lost on this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the arrow is shot horizontally, the initial vertical speed is zero. Assume that the arrow always points in the direction of its velocity.

I am still getting this wrong. I seem to always end up wth 2 unknowns, and no way to plug one into the other equation. This is what I've come up with:

since there is a no initial velocity in the horizontal direction, I got this for the x-component.:
Vx[0]= Vi[x]
=58=Vx[0]

And for the height, which is the other unknown, I got:
H= Vy[0]- .5gt^2

I still do not see a way in which I can solve for the time, and which equation I am trying to use to solve for the velocity. I'm missing something with understanding this problem.

ScullyX51 said:
since there is a no initial velocity in the horizontal direction, I got this for the x-component.:
Vx[0]= Vi[x]
=58=Vx[0]

58 m is the horizontal distance, not the velocity. Express horizontal distance as a function of time.

And for the height, which is the other unknown, I got:
H= Vy[0]- .5gt^2

Try this: Express vertical distance as a function of time using the average vertical speed.

Combine those two equations with what you know about the angle of the final velocity to solve for Vx.

Thank you eveyone for your help, but I am still greatly confused.
These are these equations I have. Can someone tell me where I am making a mistake:
y(t)= y[0] + Vy[0]-.5at^2
then I modified it as follows:
y(t)= Vy[0]sin(theta)-.5at^2

For horizontal distance as a function of time I got:
x(t)= x[0]+ Vx+ .5at^2
I eliminated x initial and the accelartion part and got:
X(t)= Vcos(theta)t
solving for t:
X(t)/Vcos(theta)

I am super confused for this problem. I do not see how I can get a value for t or V because it seems as though I have too many unkowns. Am I supposed to use tangent somewhere? I appreciate any and all help. I just need someone to explain this problem to me in lamest terms.

ScullyX51 said:
These are these equations I have. Can someone tell me where I am making a mistake:
y(t)= y[0] + Vy[0]-.5at^2
then I modified it as follows:
y(t)= Vy[0]sin(theta)-.5at^2

Let's do something even simpler. Write the final vertical speed Vy as a function of time.

For horizontal distance as a function of time I got:
x(t)= x[0]+ Vx+ .5at^2
I eliminated x initial and the accelartion part and got:
X(t)= Vcos(theta)t
solving for t:
X(t)/Vcos(theta)

Let's make it simpler:
X = Vx t

How are Vx and Vy related?

You'll end up with 3 simple equations that you can noodle around with and solve for Vx.

I am super confused for this problem. I do not see how I can get a value for t or V because it seems as though I have too many unkowns. Am I supposed to use tangent somewhere?
Yes! That will give you the third equation that you need.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. The object follows a curved path known as a parabola due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How do you calculate initial velocity in projectile motion?

To calculate the initial velocity in projectile motion, you can use the formula: v0 = d/tanθ, where v0 is the initial velocity, d is the distance, and θ is the angle of launch. This formula assumes no air resistance and that the object starts and lands at the same height.

3. Can the initial velocity in projectile motion be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity in projectile motion can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the calculation. For example, a negative initial velocity in the x-direction means that the object is moving towards the left instead of the right.

4. What other factors affect projectile motion?

Apart from the initial velocity, angle, and distance, other factors that can affect projectile motion include air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the object. These factors can alter the trajectory and speed of the object, making the calculation of the initial velocity more complex.

5. Can projectile motion be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, projectile motion can be observed and applied in various real-life situations, such as throwing a ball, shooting a projectile, or launching a rocket. Understanding the principles of projectile motion can help in accurately predicting the trajectory of objects and improving the accuracy of their launch or throw.