Any good Physics Interactive Programs out there?

In summary, there are several options for interactive physics computer programs, such as Phun, vPython, and Interactive Physics. These programs can be used to learn and explore physics concepts, as well as integrate mathematics and computer programming skills. Other options include the simulations from the University of Colorado Physics Education Research Group and the PhET project, which provide guided activities to enhance learning.
derek.basler
Does anyone know of a good physics interactive computer program to mess around with, and perhaps even learn something? maybe even a mathematics program as well would be cool. if you have any ideas, i'd appreciate you sharing!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to work on a project like this eventually.

Try "interactive physics". :)

http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/index.php?cat=Featured_Sims" [Broken] (Out of the University of Colorado Physics Education Research Group) is popular (I use it a lot with my classes)... but you probably really need some guidance to get the most out of them... look at the activities in conjunction with a text, or look at some of the activities teachers have posted.

I also like Phun (the 2-D physics emulator mentioned before)... but it has no guidance either for really getting to understand the concepts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am leaning heavily on vPython for developing coursework in physics. It is a sneaky way to get my students working on integrating mathematics with the physics concepts, and they accidentally learn some computer programming skills (rudimentary) on the way.

1. What types of interactive programs are available for studying physics?

There are a variety of interactive programs available for studying physics, including simulations, virtual labs, and games. These programs allow users to explore and experiment with different concepts in physics in a hands-on and engaging way.

2. Are there any free physics interactive programs available?

Yes, there are many free physics interactive programs available online. Some universities and educational institutions offer free access to their interactive programs, and there are also independent developers who create and share free programs for the public.

3. How do interactive programs help with understanding physics concepts?

Interactive programs allow users to visually and interactively explore and manipulate physics concepts, making it easier to understand and retain the information. They also provide a more engaging and immersive learning experience compared to traditional methods of studying.

4. Can interactive programs be used for advanced physics topics?

Yes, there are interactive programs available for advanced physics topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and astrophysics. These programs often use advanced simulations and visualizations to help users understand these complex concepts.

5. Are physics interactive programs suitable for all ages?

There are interactive programs available for all ages, from basic concepts for young children to advanced topics for college students and professionals. Some programs may have age recommendations or levels of difficulty, so it is important to choose one that is appropriate for your level of understanding.