Creating a Distribution Curve in Excel: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the person is asking for help in making a distribution curve in Excel 2003. They have experience making column graphs but can't find the option for a distribution curve. They provide a link to an example of the type of graph they want to create and thank someone for providing a helpful link. Someone else suggests checking to see if the Frequency function is installed in Excel, and if not, enabling the Data Analysis Add-in. They also provide instructions on how to use the FREQUENCY command or the Data Analysis feature to create a distribution curve.
soul5
Hi I'm trying to make a distribution curve in excel, but I can't seem to find it. I have excel 2003 I know how to make column graphs and stuff, but I can't seem to find where to find how to make a distribution curve can anyone help me?

Here is a link of the type of graph I want to make.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/images/normal2.gif

Please and Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rty640 said:

Wow, great link. Thanks.

I didn't read the link closely enough to tell, but it may also be that you have to install the part of Excel that has the Frequency function. It might come in the standard Install package, or it might be in one of the optional Math or Engineering Install options. So if you don't see the Frequency function in the function list on your Excel, check the Install CD to see if you can add it in.

Alternatively you can go to your Add-ins (under Tools I believe) and enable to "Data Analysis" Add-in (requires no cd). Then, under Tools > Data Analysis there at the bottom of the list, there will be Histogram.

You need to create an array for your "bounds". Then select your data, your bounds, and it outputs the frequency next to the bounds. From there you can bar/line graph whatever.

The FREQUENCY command is a little "cleaner", but the data analysis has some other nice little features in it. Check it out.

1. What is a distribution curve in excel?

A distribution curve in excel is a graph that shows the frequency or probability of different values occurring in a dataset. It is commonly used to analyze and understand the distribution of data and to identify patterns and trends within the data.

2. How do I create a distribution curve in excel?

To create a distribution curve in excel, you can use the built-in functions such as NORM.DIST or NORM.S.DIST. These functions allow you to calculate the probability of a value occurring within a normal distribution. You can then plot these values on a graph to create the distribution curve.

3. What is the difference between a normal distribution and a skewed distribution in excel?

A normal distribution in excel is a symmetrical bell-shaped curve, where the mean, median, and mode are all equal. On the other hand, a skewed distribution is asymmetrical, where the mean, median, and mode are not equal. In a skewed distribution, the curve is shifted towards one side, indicating that most of the data points are concentrated on one side of the graph.

4. How can I interpret a distribution curve in excel?

Interpreting a distribution curve in excel involves looking at the shape, center, and spread of the curve. The shape of the curve can tell you whether the data is normally distributed, skewed, or has multiple peaks. The center of the curve represents the average value, while the spread shows the variability of the data. By analyzing these aspects, you can gain insights into the underlying patterns and trends in your data.

5. Can I customize the appearance of a distribution curve in excel?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a distribution curve in excel to make it more visually appealing and easier to understand. You can change the color, style, and size of the curve, add axis labels and titles, and even add data labels to show the exact values on the graph. This allows you to present your data in a more organized and visually appealing manner.