What does my teacher want me to do?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary: Design a sequential circuit to decode a given serial sequence of bits. This is basically a state machine problem. When the given sequence occurs a LED is turned on. 11011001.
david90
Design a sequential circuit to decode a given serial sequence of bits. This is basically a state machine problem. When the given sequence occurs a LED is turned on. 11011001.

So there is an input to this problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't know if I will be of any help on this. Are you allowed to assume that your circuit is always in some "ready" state (or whatever you call it) when it is fed an 8-bit byte? Or could those particular eight bits be buried anywhere within a continuing stream of bits, such that your circuit has to be ready to detect that pattern even when it is embedded in a bunch of other bits before and after it?

I'm assuming he's covered the design of finite state machines with you already? This is not a trivial sort of thing to solve, but it's straightforward once you know how. I believe he's telling you to design a finite state machine (either Mealy or Moore, as you choose, apparently) with one input and one output. When the input has followed 11011001 for 8 clock cycles, the state machine should be in a state where the output is asserted.

- Warren

Finite machine works with a clk input right?

Last edited:
Yes, FSMs are sequential logic, and must have a clock.

- Warren

I've worked with state machine before that counts in a certain sequence but that doesn't have an input. You just turn on the clock and the circuit counts. The only input was the clk.

In this assigment in addition to the clk, I need to have another input to enter squence of numbers but how do I create this input??

nevermind about my last msg ^. I think I got it. So I guess it requires 5 FFs right? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

My teacher said that in the real world, they don't use K-maps to figure out the boolean equations; so what alternate method do they use? show me please

after the sequence is detected the LED remains on?

Last edited:
The quarter is over. Final grades are in. Thanks for replying though. :)

1. What is the main objective of the assignment?

The main objective of the assignment is to assess your understanding and application of the concepts and skills learned in class. It is also meant to help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills.

2. How should I approach the assignment?

You should carefully read and understand the instructions provided by your teacher. It is important to break down the assignment into smaller tasks and create a plan or timeline to ensure you complete it on time. You may also seek clarification from your teacher if you have any doubts.

3. What resources should I use for the assignment?

You should use credible and reliable sources such as textbooks, academic journals, and reputable websites. Your teacher may also provide specific resources or materials that are relevant to the assignment.

4. What is the expected format or structure of the assignment?

Your teacher may provide specific guidelines on the format or structure of the assignment. It is important to follow these guidelines, as they are usually meant to help you organize your ideas and present your work effectively.

5. How will my assignment be graded?

Your assignment will most likely be graded based on the accuracy and relevance of your content, the use of proper grammar and spelling, and the overall presentation and organization of your work. Your teacher may also provide a rubric or grading criteria for the assignment.