Radial component of linear acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 66-cm-diameter wheel accelerating uniformly about its center. The relevant equations for this problem are given, and the attempt at a solution reveals values for angular acceleration and tangential acceleration. However, there is confusion about the radial component of acceleration and the question being asked. Ultimately, the time limit is reached and the provided answer does not match the expected result.
Hotsuma

Homework Statement

A 66-cm-diameter wheel accelerates uniformly about its center from 120 rpm to 260 rpm rpm in 4.9 s.

Homework Equations

[itex]a_t = r\alpha [/itex]
[itex]a_c= r\omega^2 [/itex]
[itex]a= a_r+a_t [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have discovered that:
[itex]\alpha = 3.0 \frac{rad}{s^2} [/itex]
and
[itex]a_t = 0.99/frac{m}{s^2} [/itex]

I have tried using Pythagoras's theorem to solve for [itex]a_r [/itex], but that value does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, and I am using Mastering Physics and only have one submission left, so I had better make it count!

Anyone have an idea for this one?

Hotsuma said:

Homework Statement

A 66-cm-diameter wheel accelerates uniformly about its center from 120 rpm to 260 rpm rpm in 4.9 s.

What is the question?

Have you considered the rotational analogues to linear kinematic motion?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#rlin

it asks for the radial component of acceleration

Hotsuma said:
it asks for the radial component of acceleration

At what point?

a = ω²r

So that means it is simply ω dependent.

Are you sure they don't want α - angular acceleration?

Well I've tried that and that value didn't work. The time limit is over I took a hit on that one. The answer they resulted in was 110 m/s. Whoa.

1. What is the radial component of linear acceleration?

The radial component of linear acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object in the direction towards or away from the center of a circular path. It is perpendicular to the tangential component of acceleration, which is directed along the tangent to the path.

2. How is the radial component of linear acceleration calculated?

The radial component of linear acceleration can be calculated using the equation ar = v2/r, where ar is the radial acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between radial and tangential acceleration?

The main difference between radial and tangential acceleration is the direction in which they act. Radial acceleration acts towards or away from the center of a circular path, while tangential acceleration acts along the tangent to the path. Additionally, radial acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of an object's velocity, while tangential acceleration is responsible for changing the magnitude of its velocity.

4. How does the radial component of linear acceleration affect an object's motion?

The radial component of linear acceleration can affect an object's motion by changing its direction of motion, causing it to move in a circular path. It can also cause the object to speed up or slow down, depending on the direction of the acceleration. Additionally, the radial component of acceleration is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion, as it constantly pulls the object towards the center of the path.

5. Can an object have a zero radial component of linear acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a zero radial component of linear acceleration if it is either moving in a straight line or if it is moving in a circular path with a constant speed. In these cases, the object's velocity is either parallel or perpendicular to the radius of the circle, resulting in zero radial acceleration.