Solve Thermodynamic Work Problem: Integrate for a Solution

In summary, to solve a thermodynamic work problem, use the first law of thermodynamics and relevant equations. To integrate for a solution, determine limits of integration and use appropriate techniques. Equations used depend on given conditions. An example of solving through integration is using ΔU = Q - W. Common mistakes include not accounting for all forms of energy, inconsistent units, and errors in calculations.
yopy
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1541/physix.jpg

Can someone help me with this problem? I'm thinking you have to do some sort of integration but I am unsure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one?

This problem requires only simple geometry. What does the area under the path represent? How do you calculate that area?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
This problem requires only simple geometry. What does the area under the path represent? How do you calculate that area?

AM

ah okay i figured it out thanks

1. How do I approach solving a thermodynamic work problem?

To solve a thermodynamic work problem, you will need to use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. You will also need to use any relevant equations and principles related to the specific problem at hand.

2. What is the process for integrating to find a solution to a thermodynamic work problem?

To integrate for a solution, you will need to first determine the limits of integration, which can be based on the given conditions of the problem. Then, you will need to use the appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to solve the integral. Finally, plug in the limits of integration and solve for the final answer.

3. How do I know which equations to use for a thermodynamic work problem?

The equations used will depend on the specific conditions and variables given in the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information to determine which equations are relevant. Additionally, it may be helpful to refer to a thermodynamics textbook or consult with a colleague or professor for guidance.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a thermodynamic work problem through integration?

Sure! Let's say we have a gas in a piston that expands from a volume of 2 L to 4 L, while absorbing 200 J of heat. We want to find the work done by the gas during this process. Using the first law of thermodynamics, we can set up the equation: ΔU = Q - W. Since no work is being done on the gas, W = 0. Therefore, ΔU = Q = 200 J. We can then integrate to find the change in internal energy from 2 L to 4 L: dU = nCvdT. Integrating this equation gives us ΔU = nCv(T2 - T1). Plugging in the given values and solving for ΔU, we get a change in internal energy of 400 J. Since ΔU = Q, this means that the work done by the gas during the expansion is 400 J.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving thermodynamic work problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for all forms of energy involved in the problem, such as kinetic and potential energy. It is important to carefully consider all forms of energy and their contributions to the system. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Lastly, it is important to double check all calculations and solutions to avoid simple errors.