Understanding Entropy and Free Energy in Chemical Reactions

In summary: And just how is that calculated? Say I've got 10 grams of hydrogen at STP... What Gibbs free energy is appropriate for that substance?\left(\frac{1}{2.016} \frac{\mathrm{mol}}{\mathrm{g}}\right)\left[0\,\frac{\mathrm{J}}{\mathrm{mol}}-\left(298\,\mathrm{K}\right)\left(131\,\frac{\mathrm{J}}{\mathrm{mol}\cdot\mathrm{K}}\right)\right]\approx -190\,\mathrm{kJ}
MonsieurWise
I'm having trouble understanding why in a reaction, when the free energy G of the product equal the free energy G of the reactant, the reaction is at equilibrium. Here, as my book say, the system has reached its minimum free energy. I don't really get why... Could someone explain to me...? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh...never mind. It seems like the reaction just like the Delta G, not G, to be negative to be spontaneous, right? Now The only thing I don't get is:
Since:
Gtotal = Greactant + Gproduct
when Greactant decrease, Gproduct increase, so how can it say at equilibrium, "the system has reached minimum free energy"?
Thanks

MonsieurWise said:
... Now The only thing I don't get is:
Since:
Gtotal = Greactant + Gproduct
when Greactant decrease, Gproduct increase, so how can it say at equilibrium, "the system has reached minimum free energy"?
Thanks

Is it correct to say "Gtotal = Greactant + Gproduct"?

Gibbs Free Energy is the maximum amount of useful work you can obtain from a process not an inherent energy present in either the products or reactants. Where have you seen this equation? It's news to me.

Oh, it was in my chemistry book...

chemisttree said:
Gibbs Free Energy is the maximum amount of useful work you can obtain from a process not an inherent energy present in either the products or reactants. Where have you seen this equation? It's news to me.

The Gibbs free energy G is just the enthalpy minus TS. It's definitely an inherent property (a state function) of a substance.

MonsieurWise, the question is by what magnitude the Gibbs free energies of the reactants and the products increase and decrease. The magnitudes aren't constant; they depend on the amounts that already exist. At equilibrium, [itex]\Delta G_\mathrm{reactant}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta G_\mathrm{product}[/itex] are equal and opposite.

Mapes said:
The Gibbs free energy G is just the enthalpy minus TS. It's definitely an inherent property (a state function) of a substance.

And just how is that calculated? Say I've got 10 grams of hydrogen at STP... What Gibbs free energy is appropriate for that substance?

[tex](10\,\mathrm{g})\left(\frac{1}{2.016} \frac{\mathrm{mol}}{\mathrm{g}}\right)\left[0\,\frac{\mathrm{J}}{\mathrm{mol}}-\left(298\,\mathrm{K}\right)\left(131\,\frac{\mathrm{J}}{\mathrm{mol}\cdot\mathrm{K}}\right)\right]\approx -190\,\mathrm{kJ}[/tex]

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is often referred to as the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that the disorder or randomness in a system will tend to increase, and energy will become less available for work.

What is free energy?

Free energy is a measure of the energy in a system that is available to do work. It takes into account both the internal energy of a system and the entropy of the system.

How does free energy relate to the spontaneity of a reaction?

The change in free energy, or delta G, can be used to predict the spontaneity of a reaction. A negative delta G indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a positive delta G indicates a non-spontaneous reaction.

What factors affect the entropy and free energy of a system?

Factors such as temperature, pressure, and the number of particles in a system can affect the entropy and free energy. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the disorder and availability of energy in a system.