Indications that you don't enjoy a field of maths?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, signs that one is not enjoying a particular area of maths may include apathy, reduced motivation, understanding, and performance. This can create a vicious cycle that can be difficult to break. However, it may be necessary to persevere and try to gain a deeper understanding in order to potentially develop enjoyment. It is also not uncommon for individuals to only enjoy certain aspects of a subject. One way to gauge enjoyment is by considering if one can comprehend and enjoy the introduction section of a book about the field. If genuine interest is present, the individual may seek out alternative resources to continue learning. Extreme avoidance or aversion, such as self-harm, may also indicate a lack of enjoyment in that particular area of maths.
tgt
What are the signs that one should show when one is not enjoying a particular area of maths? In other words how can you tell if you don't really enjoy one area of maths?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tgt said:
What are the signs that one should show when one is not enjoying a particular area of maths? In other words how can you tell if you don't really enjoy one area of maths?

You can show signs of apathy when encountering that area of maths which can reduce your motivation ,understanding and performance and this can lead into a vicious circle where your enjoyment reduces even further.If it is necessary for you to be competent in the areas you don't enjoy then the best bet is to take a deep breath and get on with it.Enjoyment may come with greater understanding.I think people who enjoy all areas of their subject are rather rare.

The rule I've been applying is whether I can comprehend and enjoy the introduction section of the book about the field. Is that too shallow?

tgt said:
The rule I've been applying is whether I can comprehend and enjoy the introduction section of the book about the field. Is that too shallow?

Maybe it's just that particular book that you don't like?

dx said:
Maybe it's just that particular book that you don't like?

Nah. If the interest is genuine then surely the person will try to find another book on the same topic. That's what I am doing at the moment.

If you cut yourself to avoid doing math problems, you probably don't like that particular field of math.

1. What are some signs that I may not enjoy studying maths?

Some indications that you may not enjoy a field of maths include feeling overwhelmed or frustrated while studying, lack of interest in solving maths problems, and avoiding maths-related tasks or assignments.

2. How do I know if maths is not the right field for me?

If you find yourself constantly struggling to understand mathematical concepts, lack motivation to study maths, and have no desire to pursue a career in a maths-related field, it may be an indication that maths is not the right fit for you.

3. Can my dislike for maths change over time?

Yes, it is possible for your feelings towards maths to change over time. It may be due to a change in study methods, finding a different area of maths that interests you, or gaining a better understanding of the subject through practice and perseverance.

4. Is it normal to struggle with certain areas of maths?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with certain areas of maths. Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses, and it is common to find certain concepts or topics more challenging than others. However, with dedication and effort, it is possible to improve in these areas.

5. How can I determine if I have a genuine dislike for maths or if it's just a result of temporary difficulties?

The best way to determine if you genuinely dislike maths is to reflect on your overall feelings and experiences with the subject. If you consistently struggle and have no interest in improving, it may be a genuine dislike. However, if you have moments of enjoyment and are willing to work through temporary difficulties, it may not be a long-term dislike.