Incompleteness of Computable Numbers

In summary: TMs which compute members of the set and TMs which compute nonmembers of the set. However, for the sake of simplicity, I think it's enough to just list TMs that compute members of the set and assume that if a TM does not appear in the list, then it is computing a nonmember of the set.In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of computable numbers and whether they are closed under the taking of suprema. It is mentioned that computable real analysis is sensitive to specific definitions and that any real closed field is closed under taking suprema of semi-algebraic sets. The conversation also delves into different definitions of computable sets and how they can be represented by Turing machines.
Dragonfall
Can someone prove to me why computable numbers are not closed under the taking of suprema?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They are everywhere dense and countable, is that enough? I think that's enough.

That's enough. I mean, Q + closure under suprema = R, so a countable superset of Q doesn't have the supremum property.

True enough, thanks!

An interesting follow-up question is if the computable numbers are closed under taking the suprema of computable sets...

Alas, I believe the properties of computable real analysis is extraordinarily sensitive to the specific definitions you use for various notions. (definitions that would be equivalent in ordinary analysis frequently turn out to be inequivalent in computable analysis)

For comparison, any real closed field is closed under taking suprema of semi-algebraic sets, which are exactly those subclasses which can be defined using first-order logic and the ordered field operations.

As far as I know "computable sets" are subsets of integers. What's your definition of a computable set of reals?

I don't know what the right definitions to consider are. The first two I can think of are:

(1) A Turing machine that enumerates a list of Turing machines, each of which computes a real number

(2) A Turing machine that accepts (somehow) a real number as input, and either accepts it or rejects it (or infinite loops).

(1) would be sensible. Another possible definition would be by Dedekind cuts based on ratios of definable sequences.

(2) seems to have serious problems (how to input a real number? how to operate on it in a finite amount of time?).

CRGreathouse said:
(2) seems to have serious problems (how to input a real number? how to operate on it in a finite amount of time?).
Sorry, I left the adjective "computable" implicit.

(And there's not necessarily any problem with an algorithm that doesn't terminate...)

I think CRGreathouse means that it is not possible to recognize a real number with a TM, which can only regonize finitely many symbols, and strings of finite length.

Hurkyl said:
Sorry, I left the adjective "computable" implicit.

Isn't that circular?

(1) needs to be stronger. The TM must list those that are in the set, and those that aren't (say, in alternating order). It's the "recursive" vs. "recursively enumerable" thing all over again.

And it's possible for (2) to use an oracle which recognize real numbers then translate them into a finite string for the TM to consider. But that bumps your model into a higher place in the arithmetic hierarchy, I think.

Dragonfall said:
I think CRGreathouse means that it is not possible to recognize a real number with a TM, which can only regonize finitely many symbols, and strings of finite length.
But we're not talking about "recognizing a real number". We're talking about "doing a calculation with a computable real number". To be computable presupposes we have a way to write the number a finite string of symbols, and the TM would be programmed to operate on such representations.

The only reason I put "somehow" in a parenthetical is because we haven't fixed a particular definition and representation.

Dragonfall said:
(1) needs to be stronger. The TM must list those that are in the set, and those that aren't (say, in alternating order). It's the "recursive" vs. "recursively enumerable" thing all over again.
It could be stronger, but it doesn't need to be; it's a definition, and it has properties. It may be useful for some purpose, or it might not.

Ok let me elaborate:

Say a bounded set S of reals is "computable", so there is a TM alternatively enumerating TMs which compute reals that are in the set, and those who aren't. Let's say L is a stack of the former, and R a stack of the latter.

Pop L, Pop R, compute the decimal expansion until they differ. repeat until you find one in R that is larger than that of L. A<-TM from L, B<-TM from R.

Pop L, and compare until you find an TM M which compute a number between A and B. A<-M.

Pop R, and do the same thing. B<-R.

Compute the difference between A and B, this will tell you if the first k digits of A are equal to those of the supremum.

Repeat the last 3 steps until desired number of digits are computed.

Note that computable sets of reals are countable, obviously, and there are only countably many of them.

Note 2: If you want "computable set of reals" to be completely analogous to "computable set of integers", then you'd need the stronger version of your definition (1)

Last edited:

1. What is the Incompleteness of Computable Numbers?

The Incompleteness of Computable Numbers refers to the fact that there are certain numbers that cannot be represented or computed by a computer or any algorithm. This means that there are numbers that exist but cannot be expressed or calculated using a finite set of instructions.

2. How does the Incompleteness of Computable Numbers relate to the concept of infinity?

The Incompleteness of Computable Numbers is closely related to the concept of infinity. It shows that there are infinitely many numbers that cannot be computed or expressed, highlighting the limitations of human understanding and technology when it comes to infinity.

3. Can you give an example of a number that is incomputable?

One example of an incomputable number is the Champernowne constant, which is a real number that contains the digits of pi in its decimal expansion. It is a number that is known to exist but cannot be computed or expressed using a finite set of instructions.

4. How does the Incompleteness of Computable Numbers impact mathematics and computer science?

The Incompleteness of Computable Numbers has significant implications in both mathematics and computer science. It shows that there will always be unsolvable problems and limits to what can be computed or expressed using algorithms. This has sparked new research and developments in areas such as algorithmic randomness and computable analysis.

5. Is there a way to overcome the Incompleteness of Computable Numbers?

No, there is no way to overcome the Incompleteness of Computable Numbers. It is a fundamental limitation that exists in mathematics and computer science. However, advancements in technology and algorithms may allow us to approximate and work with these incomputable numbers to a certain degree.