Motor Input Power: Does Load Affect Performance?

In summary, when choosing a motor for a designed gear box, the input power and speed must match the specifications of the motor. However, when a motor runs at no-load, its actual performance may differ from its rated specifications, and this difference can be affected by added load. To determine if a motor is suitable for your needs, it is recommended to consult a torque curve for the specific motor or speak with a local electric motor representative. Further education on motor selection can be found in the Cowern Papers by Baldor.
firavia
If I have a designed gear box that needs a motor to run , and according to my calculations the input power for the gear box must be 10 Kw at 10 r.p.s must I chose a motor with the same input specifications ?
when I buy a motorwith certain specifications like : 10 kw 3000 R.P.M , does these specifications change when the motor has a certain load ??

and is it right to say that when a motor run at no-load it runs freely at its specifications rates and when we put a load on the motor the specifications decreases

example , we have a motor that run at 10 kw and 1000 r.p.m at no load , when we attach it to a complex gear box would the motor deliver a power that is less than 10 kw and it will rotate the input shaft of the gear box at less than 1000 r.p.m? or the motor must run at the same specifactions at no load ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A motor is rated for a certain speed and power output under load. You may or may not need to know the inertial load the motor can take before the speed controller cuts itself off (if it runs off of a speed controller). This has been a problem I've seen in the past.

You have to do one of two things.

1) get a torque curve for the specific motor you are looking at. It will tell you the characteristics of the motor, i.e. how much torque at how much rotational speed. From there you can determine if the motor will suit your needs. I can say from personal experience that the rating on the data plate is nowhere near the whole story for a motor.

2) Definitely the easiest...talk to a local electric motor rep. They can size them on the spot in most cases and also have in depth knowledge of the controller required as well. You have to know the operating parameters, of course, but that should be a no brainer. Things can get complicated when you look at things like constant power vs. constant torque vs. variable torque.

If you want to start educating yourself, Baldor has a nice set of papers they put together called the Cowern Papers. Do a search on that term and you should be able to download a PDF of it.

1. How does load affect the performance of a motor?

The load on a motor directly affects its performance. As the load increases, the motor has to work harder to maintain its speed. This can result in a decrease in performance, such as a decrease in speed or torque.

2. Can a motor handle any load?

No, each motor has a specific load limit that it can handle. Exceeding this limit can result in damage to the motor or a decrease in performance.

3. How does the input power of a motor change with load?

The input power of a motor increases as the load increases. This is because the motor has to work harder to maintain its speed and overcome the resistance of the load.

4. Is there an ideal load for a motor?

The ideal load for a motor depends on its design and purpose. Some motors are designed for high torque, while others are designed for high speed. It is important to operate a motor within its recommended load range for optimal performance.

5. How can I determine the load limit for a motor?

The load limit for a motor can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's specifications or by conducting load tests on the motor. It is important to ensure that the motor is not operating beyond its recommended load limit to avoid damage or decreased performance.