Solve 5 Moles Ideal Gas Thermodynamic Work - Final Temp

In summary: Once you have found the change in internal energy, you can find the change in temperature. What is the relationship between change in internal energy and temperature?The relationship between change in internal energy and temperature is that the change in internal energy is proportional to the temperature difference.
Luongo
1. Five moles of an ideal monatomic gas with an initial temperature of 124*C expand and, in the process, absorb an amount of heat equal to 1140J and do an amount of work equal to 2200J . What's the final temperature

2. Q=m1.5R delta T

3. I tried adding 1440 to 2200 as Q and solving for T final but that doesn't work help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Luongo said:
1. Five moles of an ideal monatomic gas with an initial temperature of 124*C expand and, in the process, absorb an amount of heat equal to 1140J and do an amount of work equal to 2200J . What's the final temperature
2. Q=m1.5R delta T
3. I tried adding 1440 to 2200 as Q and solving for T final but that doesn't work help?
This is a first law problem. Q=m1.5R delta T only works at constant volume. But you know that this is not a constant volume process - [how?].

Write out the first law. You are given the heat flow, dQ and the work, PdV, so what is the change in internal energy? Then you can determine the temperature from the change in internal energy.

AM

First of all what is dQ, do you want me to integrate something I am not given a function? or is there another differential so that i can take the derivative of a function if so what function? you said I am given the heat flow does that mean i take the integral of 1140 and get 1140Q? then what am i supposed to do with that? because dQ = Q'(t)dt. I'm not given a function... i don't understand. please tell me what formula i use?

Luongo said:
First of all what is dQ, do you want me to integrate something I am not given a function? or is there another differential so that i can take the derivative of a function if so what function? you said I am given the heat flow does that mean i take the integral of 1140 and get 1140Q? then what am i supposed to do with that? because dQ = Q'(t)dt. I'm not given a function... i don't understand. please tell me what formula i use?
The formula you use is the first law of thermodynamics. Write out the first law as it applies to the thermodynamic system ie. the gas. You are given dQ. dQ is the heat flow into/out of the gas. You are given dW. dW is the work done by the gas. Plug those into the first law an that gives you dU. It is that simple.

Once you have found the change in internal energy, you can find the change in temperature. What is the relationship between change in internal energy and temperature?

AM

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to thermodynamic work?

The ideal gas law, also known as the universal gas law, is a physical law that describes the relationship between the pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of an ideal gas. It can be represented by the equation PV = nRT, where R is the universal gas constant. This law is used in thermodynamics to calculate the work done by an ideal gas in a thermodynamic process.

2. How do you calculate thermodynamic work using the ideal gas law?

To calculate the thermodynamic work done by an ideal gas, you can use the equation W = -nRTln(Vf/Vi), where W is the work done, n is the number of moles of gas, T is the temperature, and Vf and Vi are the final and initial volumes, respectively. This equation is derived from the ideal gas law and takes into account the change in volume during the process.

3. What is the final temperature of an ideal gas when 5 moles of it do thermodynamic work?

The final temperature of an ideal gas after doing thermodynamic work can be calculated using the equation Tf = Ti + (W/nR), where Tf is the final temperature, Ti is the initial temperature, W is the work done, n is the number of moles, and R is the universal gas constant. By plugging in the values, you can calculate the final temperature.

4. How does the final temperature of an ideal gas change when the number of moles or initial temperature is varied?

The final temperature of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the initial temperature and the work done, and inversely proportional to the number of moles. This means that if the number of moles increases, the final temperature will decrease, and if the initial temperature increases, the final temperature will increase. The final temperature can also be affected by external factors such as pressure and volume changes.

5. Can the ideal gas law and thermodynamic work calculations be used for real gases?

The ideal gas law and thermodynamic work calculations are based on the assumption that gases behave ideally, meaning that they have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume. Real gases do not behave ideally, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. However, the ideal gas law and thermodynamic work calculations can still be used as approximations for real gases in certain conditions.