Solve Linear vs Nonlinear Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether an equation is linear or non-linear. The individual discusses several equations and provides their own analysis, ultimately concluding that a linear equation is one where the derivatives do not have any powers. They also note that functions and their derivatives cannot be taken to a power greater than 1.
driven4rhythm

Homework Statement

I've started differential equations and I'm trying to understand the how to figure out if an equation is linear or not. The relevant equation I don't really understand either.

Homework Equations

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4158/8ac6f972e84a7e33c291f42.png

The Attempt at a Solution

y' means dy/dt
1. (t^2)y'' + ty' +2y = sin(t) I said it's non linear (wrong)
2. (1+y^2)y'' + ty' +y = e^t I said linear (wrong)
3. y''''+y'''+y'' + y' + y = 1 I said linear (right) I get this because it follows along with the relevant equation from what I can tell.
4. y' + ty^2 =0 I said linear (wrong)
5. y'' + sin(t+y) = sin(t) I said non linear (right) I get this, I think, because of the sin(t+y)
6. y''' + ty' + cos^2(t)y = t^3 I said non linear (wrong)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A linear equation is an equation where your derivates don't have any POWERS. It can be the 2nd,3rd, 4th, billionth DERIVATIVE, but it can't be say, [tex]y'^2[/tex] because that means the first derivative, squared, which is non-linear. Also note, [tex]y^2[/tex] is also considered a non-linear term; the functions and their derivatives can't be taken to some power >1.

What is the difference between linear and nonlinear equations?

Linear equations are equations that have a constant rate of change and form a straight line on a graph. Nonlinear equations do not have a constant rate of change and do not form a straight line on a graph.

How do you determine if an equation is linear or nonlinear?

To determine if an equation is linear or nonlinear, you can graph the equation and see if it forms a straight line. Alternatively, you can check if the equation follows the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. If it does, the equation is linear. If it does not, the equation is nonlinear.

What are the main methods for solving linear and nonlinear equations?

For linear equations, the most common method is to use the slope-intercept form to find the slope and y-intercept, and then graph the equation or use substitution or elimination to solve for the variables. For nonlinear equations, there are several methods such as graphing, substitution, elimination, and using the quadratic formula.

Can linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. This depends on the value of the variables and the relationship between them. For example, the equation y = 2x + 3 has infinite solutions, while the equation y = 2x + 3 and y = 2x + 4 have no solutions.

Why is it important to understand the difference between linear and nonlinear equations?

Understanding the difference between linear and nonlinear equations is important because it helps in solving mathematical problems and real-life situations. It also helps in analyzing data and making predictions. Linear equations are used to represent relationships that have a constant rate of change, while nonlinear equations are used to represent relationships that have a changing rate of change. Knowing which type of equation to use in a given situation is crucial in finding accurate solutions.