Maximizing voltage across a load resistor?

In summary, you can maximize the voltage drop across the load resistor by increasing the resistance of the load resistor, or by minimizing the resistance and the value of G. You can also maximize the current going into the load resistor by minimizing the resistance and the value of G.
Mugged
Hey, so I have this loop circuit that has some input voltage V in series with a resistor with a resistance of R and another in series resistor that is my load resistance, let's call it G. V and R are not variables, only G is.

I know that because of Jacobi's law, to maximize the power dissipated by the load resistance, you have to have G = R.

But I'm wondering how i should maximize the voltage drop across the load resistor? I just can't figure out how to write an equation and go from there.

Also, how can i maximize the current going into the load resistor?

Please help,
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mugged said:
Hey, so I have this loop circuit that has some input voltage V in series with a resistor with a resistance of R and another in series resistor that is my load resistance, let's call it G. V and R are not variables, only G is.

I know that because of Jacobi's law, to maximize the power dissipated by the load resistance, you have to have G = R.

But I'm wondering how i should maximize the voltage drop across the load resistor? I just can't figure out how to write an equation and go from there.

Also, how can i maximize the current going into the load resistor?

Please help,
Thanks

What is the voltage divider equation? That is what you use to do what you are asking about.

Assuming that V and Rs are fixed, you maximize the output voltage with an ______ circuit, and maximize the output current (a different situation) with a _______ circuit.

You mean kirchhoffs voltage eqn?

Its V - IR - IG = 0

im starting to think that i can maximize the voltage drop on the load resistor G by maximizing the resistance of G though...still don't know if that's right.

The voltage drop across the load resistor is given by VG=VG/(R+G), to find the maximum value of this function find when the derivative equals zero, so when R/(R+G)2= 0, which is when G equals infinity...basically the bigger the resistance the bigger the voltage drop across it.. if I am understanding your question..now to maximize the current going into the load resistor, well I=V/(R+G)...what would give a maximum value for I if G is the only variable?

OH! so minimizing R+G for current..i see.

Thanks a lot guys.

1. How can I increase the voltage across a load resistor?

The voltage across a load resistor can be increased by increasing the current flowing through the resistor or by decreasing the resistance of the load.

2. What is the maximum voltage that can be achieved across a load resistor?

The maximum voltage that can be achieved across a load resistor is determined by Ohm's law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance. Therefore, the maximum voltage across a load resistor is directly proportional to the current and resistance.

3. What are the factors that affect the voltage across a load resistor?

The voltage across a load resistor is affected by the current flowing through the resistor, the resistance of the load, and the voltage source connected to the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can impact the voltage across the load resistor.

4. How can I calculate the voltage drop across a load resistor?

The voltage drop across a load resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance. Therefore, the voltage drop can be determined by multiplying the current flowing through the resistor by the resistance of the load.

5. How can I optimize the voltage across a load resistor?

The voltage across a load resistor can be optimized by choosing a load resistor with an appropriate resistance value for the desired voltage, and ensuring that the current flowing through the resistor is at the optimal level. Additionally, using a voltage regulator can help stabilize the voltage across the load resistor.