Calculating Propeller Thrust Using Given Data

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the thrust produced by a propeller while flying using certain known data such as propeller efficiency, airspeed, altitude, engine torque, propeller diameter, and rotating speed. The individual has tried searching for relevant equations but has not found any and invites others to help by providing more information about the propeller. A possible solution could be found using the relationships provided in the link given.
mohd_omr
i need to calculate thrust produced by a propeller whilst flying, using the data show below. all equations i have come across require the propeller induced velocity which is not given.

things i know;
-propeller efficiency
-indicated and true airspeed of aircraft
-temp. and pressure at flying altitude
-engine torque
-propeller diameter
-propeller rotating speed

i have tried serching the forum but couldn't find a relevant equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
propeller efficiency and thrust are functions of airspeed.

Dear buddy,

It takes some iteration to calculate thrust distribution for propeller. However, I can help u to do that coz during my final year project, I've assigned to design and find performance of the propeller itself.

U can give anything that u know abt the propeller, and I will try to help u on that. Email me at solehan85@gmail.com

Last edited:

Thank you for reaching out with your question about calculating propeller thrust. I understand the importance of accurate and precise calculations in any scientific endeavor. In order to calculate propeller thrust, we need to take into consideration several factors that affect the performance of the propeller.

Firstly, the propeller efficiency is a crucial factor in determining the thrust produced by the propeller. This efficiency is affected by many variables such as the blade design, airfoil shape, and the angle of attack. Therefore, it is essential to have accurate data on the propeller efficiency to calculate the thrust accurately.

Secondly, the true airspeed and indicated airspeed of the aircraft are also vital factors in determining propeller thrust. The true airspeed takes into account the effect of wind and the altitude at which the aircraft is flying. On the other hand, the indicated airspeed only takes into account the speed of the aircraft relative to the surrounding air. Therefore, the true airspeed is a more accurate parameter to use in propeller thrust calculations.

Thirdly, the temperature and pressure at the flying altitude also play a significant role in propeller thrust calculations. These parameters affect the density of the air, which in turn affects the performance of the propeller. It is crucial to have accurate data on temperature and pressure at the flying altitude to calculate thrust accurately.

Furthermore, the engine torque and propeller diameter are essential parameters in propeller thrust calculations. The engine torque is the twisting force that drives the propeller, and the propeller diameter affects the amount of air that the propeller can move. It is crucial to have accurate data on these parameters to calculate thrust accurately.

Finally, the propeller rotating speed, also known as the rotational velocity, is a crucial factor in determining propeller thrust. This speed affects the amount of air that the propeller can move and ultimately affects the thrust produced.

In conclusion, to accurately calculate propeller thrust, we need to consider the propeller efficiency, true airspeed, temperature and pressure at the flying altitude, engine torque, propeller diameter, and propeller rotating speed. I recommend consulting with aeronautical engineers or utilizing specialized software to accurately calculate propeller thrust using the data provided. I hope this information helps in your calculations. Best of luck in your research.

What is propeller thrust and why is it important?

Propeller thrust is the force that propels a vehicle forward through a fluid medium, such as air or water. It is an important measurement because it directly affects the performance and efficiency of a vehicle.

What data is needed to calculate propeller thrust?

The main data needed to calculate propeller thrust is the RPM (revolutions per minute) of the propeller and the diameter of the propeller. Other factors that can affect thrust, such as air density and blade angle, may also need to be considered.

How do you calculate propeller thrust?

The formula for calculating propeller thrust is: Thrust (lbs) = (0.0000000002 x RPM^2 x diameter^4) / [sqrt(diameter^2 + 4 x blade angle^2)]. This formula takes into account the RPM and diameter of the propeller, as well as the blade angle.

What are some common challenges when calculating propeller thrust?

One common challenge is determining the correct blade angle, as it can vary based on the design of the propeller. Another challenge is accounting for other factors, such as air density, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

How can propeller thrust be optimized for maximum efficiency?

Propeller thrust can be optimized by adjusting the blade angle and RPM to find the most efficient combination. Additionally, using a propeller with a larger diameter can also increase efficiency by providing more thrust with each rotation.