A quickly oscillating mass produces a gravitationnal wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of gravitational waves and their properties, including the possibility of a "GB-wave" and the similarities and differences between gravitomagnetism and electromagnetism. There is also a mention of Gravity probe B and the challenges of detecting gravitational waves.
Gonzolo
Whether they have been detected or not (someone might want to update on this, LIGO etc.?), it seems undeniable that gravitationnal waves exist. It seems sufficient to wave my hand to create one.

My question is the following : if an oscillating charge produces a linearly polarized E-wave, there is a corresponding, perpendicular B-wave, but if an oscillating mass produces a linearly polarized G-wave, is there a corresponding "GB-wave"? Is there somekind of a gravitation "magnetic-like" field totally distinct from conventionnal magnetism? I would expect it to be quite miniscule, but what do the theorists say?

Mixing Coulomb's Law with special relativity gives rise to regular magnetism, but what happens if you mix F = GMm/r^2 with special relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gonzolo said:
Whether they have been detected or not (someone might want to update on this, LIGO etc.?), it seems undeniable that gravitationnal waves exist. It seems sufficient to wave my hand to create one.

My question is the following : if an oscillating charge produces a linearly polarized E-wave, there is a corresponding, perpendicular B-wave, but if an oscillating mass produces a linearly polarized G-wave, is there a corresponding "GB-wave"? Is there somekind of a gravitation "magnetic-like" field totally distinct from conventionnal magnetism? I would expect it to be quite miniscule, but what do the theorists say?

Mixing Coulomb's Law with special relativity gives rise to regular magnetism, but what happens if you mix F = GMm/r^2 with special relativity?

Gravitomagnetism is one of the things that's going to be tested by Gravity probe B. Other names for it are frame-dragging, and the Lense-Thirring effect.

It's fairly similar to magnetism, with a few differences - linear parallel currents attract in electromagnetism, they repel in gravitomagnetism.

In electromagnetism, dipole moments cause radiation - for gravity waves, it's the quadropole moment, one reason gravity waves are so weak (the other is that the force itself is a lot weaker than elctromagnetism).

The equations for gravity waves are fairly similar to Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism, but there is another index. Instead of a magnetic vector potential Au like one has with electromagnetism, one has the linearized symmetrized metric coefficients [tex]\bar h_{uv}[/tex]

WIkipedia has an article on gravitomagnetism, but it's not terribly detailed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_dragging

Gonzolo said:
My question is the following : if an oscillating charge produces a linearly polarized E-wave, there is a corresponding, perpendicular B-wave, but if an oscillating mass produces a linearly polarized G-wave, is there a corresponding "GB-wave"? Is there somekind of a gravitation "magnetic-like" field totally distinct from conventionnal magnetism? ?

Yes, Gonzolo. There is a type of gravity predicted by GR that is the direct analog of the magnetic field in electromagnitism. It is generally referred to as the 'gravito-magnetic' field since arises from the motion of mass in direct analogy with charge currents in EM.

However, gravity waves are a result of acceleration of non-uniform mass distribution and results in quadrupolar (not linear) polarized emissions. That is, GW energy will not radiate from the source unless there is an accelerated quadrupolar mass moment.

BTW, to my knowledge, positive signatures of GW's have yet to be detected by LIGO.

Creator

--"Gravity always brings me down"--

Last edited:
Wave functions are very well behaved. They behave like waves. It is very logical to assume gravity obeys the wave form equations. There is too much indirect evidence to say it does not.

Chronos said:
Wave functions are very well behaved. They behave like waves. It is very logical to assume gravity obeys the wave form equations. There is too much indirect evidence to say it does not.
Agreed, but should we have detected gravitational waves by now?
Garth

1. What is a gravitational wave?

A gravitational wave is a ripple in the fabric of space-time that is created when a massive object, such as a quickly oscillating mass, accelerates. It is similar to the ripples created when a stone is thrown into a pond, but instead of water, it is the fabric of space-time that is being disturbed.

2. How is a gravitational wave produced by a quickly oscillating mass?

A quickly oscillating mass produces a gravitational wave because its rapid changes in acceleration cause distortions in the fabric of space-time. These distortions then radiate outwards as a gravitational wave.

3. Can we detect gravitational waves?

Yes, scientists have developed advanced technology, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), to detect and measure gravitational waves. These waves can also indirectly be detected through their effects on other objects, such as the timing of pulsars.

4. What are the applications of studying gravitational waves?

Studying gravitational waves can provide us with valuable information about the universe, such as the existence of black holes and the behavior of objects in extreme environments. Gravitational waves can also potentially be used for future technologies, such as improving navigation systems.

5. Are gravitational waves the same as electromagnetic waves?

No, gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves are different phenomena. Electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, are caused by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. Gravitational waves, on the other hand, are caused by distortions in the fabric of space-time and are not affected by electric or magnetic fields.