Top Sinclair newsman denounces employer over Kerry documentary

• News
  • Thread starter plover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Documentary
In summary, the Washington bureau chief for Sinclair Broadcast Group's news division, Jon Leiberman, spoke out against his employer's plans to air a biased program attacking John Kerry's anti-war activism. Leiberman expressed his anguish and disappointment in the decision, calling it propaganda and a threat to the credibility of the news coverage. He also revealed that he had refused to contribute to the program and that his job could be at risk. Blogger Josh Marshall also commented on the situation, comparing it to the corrupt politics of a banana republic.
plover
Homework Helper
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.sinclair18oct18,0,3085177.story?coll=sfla-newsnation-front , but that site requires registration.
The Washington bureau chief for Maryland-based Sinclair Broadcast Group's news division angrily denounced his employer last night for plans to air an hourlong program that is to include incendiary allegations against Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry for his anti-war activism three decades ago.

"It's biased political propaganda, with clear intentions to sway this election," said Jon Leiberman, Sinclair's lead political reporter for more than a year. "For me, it's not about right or left -- it's about what's right or wrong in news coverage this close to an election." ... "At the end of the day, though, all you really have is your credibility."
Leiberman said he was anguished by his decision to speak out. But, he said, the influence of commentator Mark Hyman and Chief Executive David D. Smith has been devastating. "There is going to be a concerted effort on the part of my colleagues to make this as balanced a program as they can," Leiberman said. "But the selection of the material -- dumping it on the news department, and giving them four days, and running it this close to the election -- it's indefensible, in my opinion."

Leiberman said he told Sinclair's vice president for news, Joseph DeFeo, that he would not contribute to the program and that DeFeo suggested the reporter could lose his job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Josh Marshall reports that http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2004_10_17.php#003714 .
I give this guy a lot of credit. I feel bad for him. And I really hope someone picks him up quickly.

But my strongest impression is simply the outlandish quality of this drama. It's like we're a banana republic suddenly. Or it's like the late 19th century in some unruly part of this country where the local papers and most of the legislators were owned by some railroad boss or some similar honcho or tycoon. Only now the rot and swindlerdom of it all is magnified by cutting edge technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a sham(e) !

1. What is the background of the newsman who denounced Sinclair over the Kerry documentary?

The newsman in question is Jon Leiberman, a former reporter for Sinclair-owned station WJLA in Washington, D.C. He worked for Sinclair for over two years before resigning in 2013.

2. What is the documentary about and why is it controversial?

The documentary, titled "The POW Story: Politics, Pressure and the Media," focuses on the controversy surrounding Senator John Kerry's Vietnam War service and his anti-war activism. It is controversial because it presents a biased and misleading portrayal of Kerry and his actions during the war.

3. Why did Jon Leiberman denounce his former employer over this documentary?

Leiberman publicly denounced Sinclair for promoting and airing a "biased political attack" against Kerry. He believed that the documentary was not based on facts and was meant to sway the public's opinion rather than inform them.

4. Has Sinclair responded to Leiberman's denouncement?

Sinclair has not publicly responded to Leiberman's statements. However, they have released a statement defending the documentary and stating that it was "thoroughly researched and unbiased."

5. How has this controversy affected Sinclair and its reputation?

This controversy has further damaged Sinclair's reputation as a news organization that promotes biased and politically motivated content. It has also raised concerns about the company's actions in influencing public opinion through their news reporting.

Back