Total torque exerted by a mass that falls in a circular pattern around a point.

In summary, Harry_4226 has created a mass-powered rolling vehicle that works by initially placing a mass at the top of the wheel, which causes it to rapidly accelerate. If anyone has an answer to calculating the torque exerted by the falling mass, Harry_4226 would appreciate it. Alternatively, Harry_4226 needs an equation that can solve torque when there is a variable perpendicular distance to the pivot.
harry_4226
Hi I have built a mass powered rolling vehicle but am having problems calculating the mathematical side of it.

Description of design: The vehicle is a wheel. I have cut little notches in part of the wheel to hold a mass on the outside circumference of the wheel. THe wheel is 0.175m radius. THe mass is 250g.

THe design works by initially the mass is placed at the top of the wheel at the highest point off the ground, where since the mass is sitting above the axis of rotation the wheel doesn't move. I then give it a little nudge foward and since torque is force multiplied by perpindicular distance, the mass causes the wheel to rapidly accelerate. When the mass reaches the lowest point of its cycle (when the mass touches the ground) the latch allows the mass to roll out and the wheel will continue rolling without the mass.

I need an equation that can find the total torque exerted by the falling mass as it falls around the circle. (The equation also takes into account the changing perpindicular distacne of the mass to the pivot point as it turns around teh circle.

If anyone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is too confusing i need an equation that can solve torque where there is a variable force.
Alternatively i need an equation that can solve torque when there is a variable perpendicular distance to the pivot.

welcome to pf!

hi harry_4226! welcome to pf! :smile:
harry_4226 said:
I need an equation that can find the total torque exerted by the falling mass as it falls around the circle.

no you don't … you only need conservation of energy :wink:

(of course you also need to know the moment of inertia of the wheel … if it's a solid disc, then that's I = mr2/2, and kinetic energy = Iω2/2 + mv2/2)

1. What is total torque?

Total torque is the measure of the rotational force exerted on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque related to circular motion?

In circular motion, torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed point. This torque is generated by the force of gravity acting on the mass of the object as it moves in a circular pattern.

3. How is the mass of the object related to total torque?

The mass of the object is directly proportional to the total torque exerted. This means that as the mass of the object increases, the total torque also increases.

4. What is the role of distance in calculating total torque?

Distance is a crucial factor in calculating total torque. It is the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied. The longer the distance, the greater the torque.

5. How does the speed of the object affect total torque?

The speed of the object does not directly affect the total torque. However, it can affect the force of gravity that is exerted on the object, which in turn affects the total torque. The faster the object moves, the greater the force of gravity and therefore the greater the total torque.