Foils to be used for the purpose of encapsulation

• Thread starter mah65
  • Start date
It is inexpensive, and is used in high temperature applications.In summary, the conversation discusses the need for encapsulating samples during heat treatment to prevent oxidation. The speaker mentions using quartz glass, but is concerned about the cost. They ask for suggestions on a cheaper alternative, and Incoloy is suggested as a suitable metal alloy for high temperature applications.
mah65
HI

I want to heat treat my samples (dimensions: 4:4:2 mm3) at about 600 C, for different times from 30 min to 3 days. Since my alloy is highly sensitive to high temperature oxidation, I have to encapsulate them so as to prevent them from being oxidized.

I was thinking of encapsulating them in quartz glass. However, this method is very expensive, as I have too many samples.

One method is to roll the samples in some layers of foil of a specific element. Does anyone know an element, foils of which are resistant to oxidation at my temperatures and times? Please mention every element or alloy that works, whether cheap or expensive.

Thank You very much in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Incoloy is a metal alloy rated to 1400 degF.

What are foils used for encapsulation?

Foils are thin sheets of material, usually made of metal, that are used to protect and enclose items. They are commonly used in packaging to provide a barrier against moisture, light, and other external factors that can damage the enclosed item.

What materials are commonly used for foils?

The most commonly used materials for foils are aluminum, copper, and tin. These materials are lightweight, flexible, and have good barrier properties, making them ideal for encapsulation purposes.

How are foils made?

Foils are typically made through a process called rolling, where a large block of metal is passed through a series of rollers to reduce its thickness. The resulting thin sheets are then cut into the desired size for use in encapsulation.

What are the benefits of using foils for encapsulation?

Foils offer several benefits for encapsulation, including excellent barrier properties, flexibility, and ease of use. They also provide a cost-effective solution for protecting and preserving sensitive items.

What are some common applications of foils in encapsulation?

Foils are commonly used in encapsulation for a variety of items, such as food and pharmaceutical products, electronic components, and artwork. They are also used in the production of flexible packaging materials, such as pouches and sachets.