De-Ionized Water: Duration, Storage, and Ionization Factors Explained"

• Thread starter banerjeerupak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, Deionized water, also known as demineralized water, is water that has had its mineral ions removed through the process of deionization using ion exchange resins. This produces a high purity water similar to distilled water, but does not remove uncharged organic molecules, viruses, or bacteria. The time for deionized water to become ionized again depends on the container and environmental conditions, but it immediately begins to dissolve the container it is stored in. It is commonly kept in glass bottles, but can also be stored in plastic containers, though it is corrosive to both. The water's resistivity can be measured to determine its level of purity.
banerjeerupak
Hi,

How long does de-ionized water remain de-ionized. After what amount of time would it start geting ionized again. I understand that it would greatly depend on the container in which it is kept and the environmental conditions. However, the order of the time would help me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deionized water, also known as demineralized water[2] (DI water, DIW or de-ionized water), is water that has had its mineral ions removed, such as cations from sodium, calcium, iron, copper and anions such as chloride and bromide. Deionization is a physical process which uses specially-manufactured ion exchange resins which bind to and filter out the mineral salts from water. Because the majority of water impurities are dissolved salts, deionization produces a high purity water that is generally similar to distilled water, and this process is quick and without scale buildup. However, deionization does not significantly remove uncharged organic molecules, viruses or bacteria, except by incidental trapping in the resin. Specially made strong base anion resins can remove Gram-negative bacteria. Deionization can be done continuously and inexpensively using electrodeionization.

Deionization does not remove the hydroxide or hydronium ions from water. These are the products of the self-ionization of water to equilibrium and therefore are impossible to remove.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purified_water

So as long as you keep the water sealed and all that, your water is kept clean. No "order of time" or whatever.

Bloodthunder said:
So as long as you keep the water sealed and all that, your water is kept clean.

No, the deionized water will immediately begin dissolving the container in which it is sealed. To see how fast this occurs, measure the water's resistivity as it falls from a maximum of about 18 MΩ-cm.

isn't DI water usually kept in glass bottles?

Bloodthunder said:
isn't DI water usually kept in glass bottles?

Not in my lab. I don't want all the components of soda-lime glass in my DI water!

Thanks for the insight. The replies have all helped a lot. I understand that it is highly pure form of water. And it is quite corrosive too due to the attraction it shows to ions in whichever container it is kept in. I am keeping my DI water in plastic containers. I was hoping for a time scale such as "it no longer remains essentially DI after about a week". But this question has improved my understanding off the DI water

In mine it's kept in glass bottles (or more appropriately, a gigantic glass vat). And it doesn't dissolve glass anyway. I think. Haven't yet checked, hmm... =P

Bloodthunder said:
In mine it's kept in glass bottles (or more appropriately, a gigantic glass vat). And it doesn't dissolve glass anyway.

Be sure it does. Keeping water at 18 MΩcm is not an easy task.

1. How long does de-ionized water last?

De-ionized water can last for an indefinite amount of time if it is stored properly. However, it is recommended to use it within six months to a year for optimal purity.

2. How should I store de-ionized water?

De-ionized water should be stored in a clean, airtight container. It is important to avoid exposure to air, as it can re-contaminate the water. It should also be stored away from direct sunlight and heat sources.

3. What are the factors that affect the ionization of de-ionized water?

The ionization of de-ionized water can be affected by several factors such as temperature, exposure to air, and contact with certain materials. The purity of the initial water source and the effectiveness of the de-ionization process can also impact the ionization of the water.

4. Can I re-ionize de-ionized water?

Yes, de-ionized water can be re-ionized through the addition of ionizing salts or by exposing it to an ionizing energy source. However, this process can be difficult to control and may not result in consistent levels of ionization.

5. Is de-ionized water safe to drink?

De-ionized water is safe to drink, but it does not contain any beneficial minerals and may not be as hydrating as regular water. It is commonly used for scientific and industrial purposes, but it is not recommended for long-term consumption as it may lead to mineral deficiencies.