Using Enthelpy to define flow work for a non-ideal gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work in an open system with mass flow, specifically the work associated with mass transport and how it is quantified. It is stated that for boundary work, the work can be calculated using the integral of P dV from V1 to V2. However, there is confusion about the relationship between P, V, and work, and whether enthalpy can be used to calculate flow work. An example is given to illustrate the difference between the work done and the change in flow work. The conversation ends with a question about the discrepancy between the two calculations.
timsea81
For an open system with mass flowing in and out, where mass exits the system there is work associated with the mass transport. When this work is used to say, push up a piston, this is pretty intuitive, but even when it does not lift a weight since, the force COULD be used to lift a weight, it is thermodynamic work. I'm trying to understand how we quantify that work. Since it is boundary work we say that

Work = the integral of P dV from V1 to V2

And then we have Enthalpy = U + PV, and from what I read the PV term represents the flow work. I don't understand how this is, since the integral of P dV from V1 to V2 is different depending on the relationship between P and V. If you look at work as the area under the P/V curve, you see how you need to more than just the end states to know the integral.

Am I wrong to use Enthalpy to calculate the flow work in this way? Or is there something about it that I don't get, that makes it okay to do so?

Science news on Phys.org
For example, if PV^k=C, we write P in terms of V as P=CV^(-k), and the integral of that with respect to V is (-C/k-1)V^(k-1), so from point a to point b the work done is

(-C/k-1)(V2k-1 - V1k-1) but the the change in flow work is just

P2V2 - P1V1I am confused why they are not equal.

What is entropy and how is it related to flow work?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of thermodynamics, it is closely related to the concept of flow work. Flow work is the energy required to push a fluid into or out of a system. As the fluid moves, its energy and entropy change, and this change is reflected in the flow work.

Why is it important to consider entropy when defining flow work for a non-ideal gas?

In a non-ideal gas, the particles do not behave according to the ideal gas law and may interact with each other. This means that the energy and entropy of the gas may change as it flows. To accurately define flow work for a non-ideal gas, we must take into account the changes in entropy.

How is entropy used to calculate flow work for a non-ideal gas?

The equation for flow work in a non-ideal gas includes a term for the change in entropy (ΔS). This term is multiplied by the temperature (T) and the pressure (P) to determine the flow work. So, the higher the temperature and pressure, the greater the contribution of entropy to the flow work.

What are some factors that can affect the flow work of a non-ideal gas?

Aside from temperature and pressure, other factors that can affect the flow work of a non-ideal gas include the composition of the gas, the type of interactions between the gas particles, and the type of flow (e.g. laminar or turbulent). These factors can all influence the changes in entropy and therefore impact the calculation of flow work.

How does the concept of entropy and flow work apply to real-world situations?

In many industrial processes, non-ideal gases are used and the accurate calculation of flow work is crucial for efficient and safe operation. For example, in chemical reactions involving gases, understanding the changes in entropy and the resulting flow work can help optimize the process and prevent any potential hazards. In environmental science, the concept of entropy and flow work is also important in understanding and managing air and water pollution.