Calculate Urine Height from Flow Rate with Excel Graph

In summary, Bernoulli's equation is used to calculate the height of urine within a cup based on the urine flow rate.
monatariq
Urine flow meters are used to diagnose urinary flow obstructions such as might occur in the even of enlargement of the prostate gland in men. The Stream-test™ is a simple home uroflow meter consisting of plastic cup with a hole in the base. The maximum height of the urine in the cup is proportional to the maximum urine flow rate.
Write an excel spreadsheet to calculate the height of urine within the cup based on the urine flow pattern provided. Plot a graph showing the instantaneous height of the urine versus time and state the maximum urine height achieved. The dimensions of the cup are as follows:
-The cup is straight sided with an internal diameter of 5cm.
-The hole in the bottom has a diameter of 0.5cm.
PLZZZZZZ can sumone just explain how to do the basic cnversions .

Attachments

• Flow data.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 330
Engineering news on Phys.org
Which basic conversions are you having trouble with?

as u can see that in the excel file it shows volumetric flowrates so basically I am having trouble with converting flowrates to height .we have been given the whole cup dia and the gole dia too of the cup whose height is to be measured .

helpppppp pleasezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

monatariq said:
Urine flow meters are used to diagnose urinary flow obstructions such as might occur in the even of enlargement of the prostate gland in men. The Stream-test™ is a simple home uroflow meter consisting of plastic cup with a hole in the base. The maximum height of the urine in the cup is proportional to the maximum urine flow rate.
Write an excel spreadsheet to calculate the height of urine within the cup based on the urine flow pattern provided. Plot a graph showing the instantaneous height of the urine versus time and state the maximum urine height achieved. The dimensions of the cup are as follows:
-The cup is straight sided with an internal diameter of 5cm.
-The hole in the bottom has a diameter of 0.5cm.
PLZZZZZZ can sumone just explain how to do the basic cnversions .

Use Bernoulli's Equation. You can make a few assumptions and end up with this equation:

[tex] v = \sqrt{2g\Delta{h}} [/tex]

Multiply that time the area of the hole in the bottom and you end up with the flow rate (which you are given).

[tex] Q = A\sqrt{2g\Delta{h}} [/tex]

Solve for h (the height) and plot it.

CS

sorry ,i think I am just not understanding what ur saying .
for example if I am taking a reading at time =3secs and flow rate = 10 ml/s
so first step u say is multiply 3 into the smaller area.?even if i do so how come it gives me flowrate ,?can u please elaborate all by some example. i hope u understand that the values r of flow in.i basically need the flow out from which i can get the volume retained n thus the height .
please answer ASAP .the deadline is in three daysss;(

stewartcs said:
Use Bernoulli's Equation. You can make a few assumptions and end up with this equation:

[tex] v = \sqrt{2g\Delta{h}} [/tex]

Multiply that time the area of the hole in the bottom and you end up with the flow rate (which you are given).

[tex] Q = A\sqrt{2g\Delta{h}} [/tex]

Solve for h (the height) and plot it.

CS

So I'm a bit unsure if I should start a new thread, but I have a similar problem with similar data. I cannot understand how to apply Bernoulli's equations to the flow rate to solve for height.

Any help would be appreciated. Examples would be very helpful.

Thank you

1. How do I determine the flow rate of urine?

The flow rate of urine can be determined by measuring the volume of urine excreted in a given time period. This can be done by using a measuring cup or container to collect the urine and then calculating the volume based on the markings on the container and the time period.

2. What is the formula for calculating urine height?

The formula for calculating urine height is height = flow rate x time. This means that the height of the urine in the container can be determined by multiplying the flow rate (in mL/s) by the time (in seconds) that the urine was collected for.

3. How can I create an Excel graph to visualize the data?

To create an Excel graph, you will need to first input the data for flow rate and time into the spreadsheet. Then, select the data and click on the "Insert" tab. From there, choose the type of graph you want to create (e.g. line graph) and customize it as needed.

4. Can I use this method for measuring urine flow rate in a clinical setting?

Yes, this method can be used in a clinical setting to measure urine flow rate. However, it is important to note that this method may not be as accurate as other methods used in a clinical setting, such as uroflowmetry. Consult with a healthcare professional for the most accurate and appropriate method for measuring urine flow rate.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of this method?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the accuracy of this method. These include the size and shape of the container used, the position of the person while urinating, and the consistency of the urine flow. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and repeat the measurements multiple times to ensure accuracy.