Problem in constructing Matrix representation in |↑↓> basis

In summary, the matrix representation for operator Q in the |S1=1/2 ,m1> |S2=1/2 ,m2 > basis can be derived by using the formula Q_{ij}=(Qe_j)_i=\langle e_i,Qe_j\rangle, where |Si,mi> are common eigenstates of S2 , Si,z for the ith particle. It is important to note that all elements in the first row should have the same "bra" in the bra-ket notation.
ck00
If I want to derive the matrix representation for operator Q in the |S1=1/2 ,m1> |S2=1/2 ,m2 > basis, where |Si,mi> are common eigenstates of S2 , Si,z for the ith particle.

And I do it in this way:
<↑↑|Q|↑↑> <↑↑|Q|↑↓> <↑↓|Q|↓↑> <↑↑|Q|↓↓>
<↑↓|Q|↑↑> <↑↓|Q|↑↓> <↑↓|Q|↓↑> <↑↓|Q|↓↓>
... ... ... ...
... ... ... ...

|↑↑>=|S1=1/2 ,m1=+1/2> |S2=1/2 ,m2=+1/2 >
Is it correct?
THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help?

Let's see...the ij component (row i, column j) in the basis [itex]\{e_i\}[/itex] is [itex]Q_{ij}=(Qe_j)_i=\langle e_i,Qe_j\rangle[/itex]. In bra-ket notation, [itex]Q_{ij}=\langle i|Q|j\rangle[/itex]. So everything on your first row should have the same "bra", but one of them is different from the other three. I suspect it's just a typo, since the rest of it looks fine.

Fredrik said:
Let's see...the ij component (row i, column j) in the basis [itex]\{e_i\}[/itex] is [itex]Q_{ij}=(Qe_j)_i=\langle e_i,Qe_j\rangle[/itex]. In bra-ket notation, [itex]Q_{ij}=\langle i|Q|j\rangle[/itex]. So everything on your first row should have the same "bra", but one of them is different from the other three. I suspect it's just a typo, since the rest of it looks fine.

oh,ya, you are right, it's just a typo. Thanks for teaching:smile:

1. What is a "Matrix representation" in the |↑↓> basis?

A matrix representation in the |↑↓> basis is a way of representing a quantum state in terms of a matrix, where the columns and rows correspond to the |↑> and |↓> basis states. This allows for easier calculation and manipulation of quantum states.

2. Why is there a problem in constructing a matrix representation in the |↑↓> basis?

The |↑↓> basis is not a fixed basis, meaning that the states |↑> and |↓> can change depending on the context. This makes it difficult to create a single matrix representation that can accurately represent all possible quantum states in this basis.

3. How does this problem affect quantum computing?

In quantum computing, matrix representations are essential for performing calculations and operations on quantum states. The problem in constructing a matrix representation in the |↑↓> basis can make it more challenging to accurately represent and manipulate qubits, which are quantum bits of information.

4. Are there any potential solutions to this problem?

One potential solution is to use a different basis, such as the |0> and |1> basis, which is more commonly used in quantum computing. Another solution is to use a combination of multiple matrix representations in the |↑↓> basis to accurately represent all possible quantum states.

5. How can scientists work around this problem?

Scientists can work around this problem by carefully choosing the basis in which they represent their quantum states. They can also use mathematical techniques, such as superposition and entanglement, to manipulate quantum states without the need for a matrix representation in the |↑↓> basis.