Unlocking the Rubik Cube 2x2 Mystery

In summary, the conversation is about the number of possible configurations of a Rubik cube 2x2 with allowed movements similar to a 3x3 cube but without central pieces that do not move. The first suggested calculation is 8!3^8, but it is pointed out that this includes repeated configurations. The next suggestion is to prove that any permutation can be made on a 2x2 cube, which would lead to a calculation of 24! permutations, but since colors are repeated, it would be divided by (4!)^6. However, this may not be valid due to the restriction of certain colors not being able to be shuffled. Another suggestion is to consider swapping stickers on the face of the cube, which
Feynmanfan
Hello everybody!

What's the number of possible configuration of a Rubik cube 2x2 (allowed movements are like in a 3x3 cube but here there are not central pieces that don't move).

THanks for your help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Smells like homework, which means we need to see your work.

well, sorry for that.

The first thing I thought was 8!3^8 since there are 8 vertices and 3 possible positions for each one. But obviously in this answer there are repeated configurations.

If I prove that any permutation can be made in a 2x2 cube, then 24! would be the number of permutations but colours are repeated so it would be
24!/(4!)^6.

I'm a bit lost in combinatorics.

Thanks for helping me out.

The first thing I thought was 8!3^8 since there are 8 vertices and 3 possible positions for each one. But obviously in this answer there are repeated configurations.

I don't understand what you mean by obviously there are repeated configurations. Can you give an example of an arragement of faces that this example repeats?

If I prove that any permutation can be made in a 2x2 cube, then 24! would be the number of permutations but colours are repeated so it would be

At first i thought you could do that. However that's assuming all the colors have complete freedom on the cube. On a cube every corner has 3 colors that can't be shuffled. I don't know how to account for that but I'm pretty sure the standard calculation for the number of permutations isn't valid.

Really a bunch of this depends on what kind of stuff you're looking into.

For example, let's say that instead of moving the cube around, you're swapping stickers on the face of the cube.
Then, if each of panels were distinct you could have 24! possible combinations. However, there are 4 of each color on the cube, so, really it's
[tex]\frac{24!}{\left{4!}^6}[/tex]
combinations. Since you can freely rearange the faces of each color.

Now, let's take a look at an actual cube:
Naively, the cube has eight moving parts - one for each vertex, and each of them can be in one of eight positions. Each of these positions has three possible orientations, and all of the vertices are distinct, so there are at most
[tex]8! \times 3^8[/tex]
positions.
The actual number of positions that a mini-cube can achieve is somewhat smaller than that.

NateTG said:
Really a bunch of this depends on what kind of stuff you're looking into.

For example, let's say that instead of moving the cube around, you're swapping stickers on the face of the cube.
Then, if each of panels were distinct you could have 24! possible combinations. However, there are 4 of each color on the cube, so, really it's
[tex]\frac{24!}{\left{4!}^6}[/tex]
combinations. Since you can freely rearange the faces of each color.

Now, let's take a look at an actual cube:
Naively, the cube has eight moving parts - one for each vertex, and each of them can be in one of eight positions. Each of these positions has three possible orientations, and all of the vertices are distinct, so there are at most
[tex]8! \times 3^8[/tex]
positions.
The actual number of positions that a mini-cube can achieve is somewhat smaller than that.

I think the correct answer is [tex]7! \times 3^8[/tex]. Divide by 8, so that we don't include a reorientation of the cube.

learningphysics said:
I think the correct answer is [tex]7! \times 3^8[/tex]. Divide by 8, so that we don't include a reorientation of the cube.

If you fix a corner, it's pretty easy to see that the number is capped at [tex]7! \times 3^7[/tex]. It would not be surprising to find out that the actual number is [tex]7! \times 3^6[/tex]. This is well within the storage capacities of todays computers, so brute force is a viable approach to confirming this notion.

Can someone please explain 8!3^3. Thank you for helping out a rook... :biggrin:

------ Life is a problem... SOLVE IT!

1. How do you solve a 2x2 Rubik's Cube?

The 2x2 Rubik's Cube, also known as the Pocket Cube, is solved using a similar method as the 3x3 Rubik's Cube. The steps involved are:

• Make a white cross on one side by solving the white face.
  • Complete the bottom layer by solving the remaining white corners.
  • Create a white cross on the top layer.
  • Complete the top layer by solving the remaining top layer corners.
  • Permute the remaining edges of the top layer.
  • Permute the remaining corners of the top layer.
This method is also known as the Ortega Method and can be easily learned by following online tutorials or using a Rubik's Cube solution guide.

2. How many possible combinations are there in a 2x2 Rubik's Cube?

The 2x2 Rubik's Cube has a total of 3,674,160 possible combinations. However, it is easier to solve compared to the 3x3 Rubik's Cube as it has fewer pieces and only requires 11 moves to solve in the worst case scenario.

3. Can you solve a 2x2 Rubik's Cube using only one algorithm?

Yes, it is possible to solve a 2x2 Rubik's Cube using only one algorithm known as the Sune Algorithm. This algorithm involves a series of moves that can be repeated multiple times to solve the cube. It is commonly used by speedcubers to solve the cube quickly.

4. Is it possible to solve a 2x2 Rubik's Cube in less than 1 minute?

Yes, it is possible to solve a 2x2 Rubik's Cube in less than 1 minute with practice and using efficient solving methods. The current world record for solving a 2x2 Rubik's Cube is 0.49 seconds, achieved by Yusheng Du in 2018.

5. Can you solve a 2x2 Rubik's Cube blindfolded?

Yes, it is possible to solve a 2x2 Rubik's Cube blindfolded using the Old Pochmann Method. This method involves memorizing a specific set of moves and executing them without looking at the cube. It requires a lot of practice and memorization skills, but it is a popular challenge among speedcubers.