How to prove this identity?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, to start proving an identity, you should simplify both sides of the equation and use algebraic properties to manipulate one side to look like the other. Strategies for proving an identity include substituting values or variables, using common identities or trigonometric properties, and working backwards from the desired result. To know if an identity is true, both sides of the equation should be equal for all possible values of the variables. If you get stuck, take a break, try a different approach, or seek guidance. Common mistakes to avoid include careless errors, not simplifying both sides, assuming untrue identities, and using insufficient examples.
aisha
:mad: how would u proove this identity

[tex] \cos^2 \theta= \cos^2 - \sin^2= 2\cos^2\theta-1=1-2\sin^2\theta [/tex] ? The example i was given was [tex] \sin2\theta=2\sin\theta \cos\theta [/tex] this was a little bit easier to understand since there was a left and right side, I am not sure how to proove this. How was this formula derived from the sum differnce formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(a+b) = cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b)
therefore
cos(2a)=cos(a)cos(a)-sin(a)sin(a)
this is the first step... the rest should be easy

Proving identities in mathematics involves using different techniques such as algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, and substitution. In order to prove the given identity, we can use the Pythagorean identity which states that \sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1.

Starting with the left side of the given identity, we can use the Pythagorean identity to rewrite it as \cos^2\theta = 1 - \sin^2\theta. This is because if we subtract \sin^2\theta from both sides, we get \cos^2\theta + \sin^2\theta = 1 - \sin^2\theta + \sin^2\theta, which simplifies to \cos^2\theta = 1.

Next, we can use the difference of squares formula to rewrite \cos^2\theta as (\cos\theta + \sin\theta)(\cos\theta - \sin\theta). This gives us (\cos\theta + \sin\theta)(\cos\theta - \sin\theta) = 1 - \sin^2\theta.

Now, we can use the given identity \sin2\theta = 2\sin\theta\cos\theta to rewrite \sin^2\theta as \frac{1}{2}\sin2\theta. Substituting this into our previous equation, we get (\cos\theta + \sin\theta)(\cos\theta - \sin\theta) = 1 - \frac{1}{2}\sin2\theta.

To simplify the right side, we can use the double angle formula \sin2\theta = 2\sin\theta\cos\theta. This gives us (\cos\theta + \sin\theta)(\cos\theta - \sin\theta) = 1 - \sin^2\theta = 1 - 2\sin^2\theta.

Finally, we can rearrange the terms on the right side to get 1 - 2\sin^2\theta = 2\cos^2\theta - 1. This is the same as the second part of the given identity, proving that the two sides are equal.

In summary, we used the Pythagorean identity, difference of squares formula, and double angle formula to rewrite and simplify the left side of the given identity until it was equivalent to the right

1. How do I start proving an identity?

To start proving an identity, you should first simplify both sides of the equation using basic algebraic manipulations. Then, you can try to manipulate one side to look like the other side by using algebraic properties such as the distributive property, commutative property, or associative property.

2. What strategies can I use to prove an identity?

There are several strategies that you can use to prove an identity, such as substituting values or variables, using common identities or trigonometric properties, or working backwards from the desired result. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use examples to better understand the identity.

3. How do I know if an identity is true?

An identity is considered true if both sides of the equation are equal for all possible values of the variables. This means that if you substitute any value for the variables in the identity, both sides should result in the same value. In other words, the identity should hold true for any value of the variables.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while proving an identity?

If you get stuck while proving an identity, it can be helpful to take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or consulting a textbook or online resource for hints or guidance. It may also be beneficial to work with a study group or seek help from a teacher or tutor.

5. What are common mistakes to avoid when proving an identity?

Common mistakes to avoid when proving an identity include making careless errors in algebraic manipulations, not simplifying both sides of the equation, assuming identities that are not true, and only using one or two examples to prove the identity instead of showing that it holds true for all possible values of the variables.