Absorption and Emission Spectrum

In summary, emission spectrum refers to the arrangement of electromagnetic radiations emitted by an excited element in order of increasing wavelength. On the other hand, absorption spectrum refers to the dark lines observed in the spectrum when light passes through a tube containing vapors or a solution of a substance, due to the absorption of corresponding wavelengths. The absorption spectrum of a substance will have the same positions as the bright lines in the emission spectrum of the same substance. The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle states that there will always be a degree of uncertainty in measuring the position and velocity of a quantum particle. The product of uncertainties in position and velocity must be greater than a constant value. The term "suspension" in this context refers to a molecule being suspended
physics kiddy
When an element is excited by some method, it emits electromagnetic radiations of definite wavelengths. The arrangement of these wavelengths in order of increasing wavelength is called emission spectrum of the element. (as per my book)

But, the definition of absorption spectrum, I don't understand.It goes like this:

When a beam of continuous light is passed through a tube containing vapors or solution of the substance and the transmitted light is analysed with the help of a spectrometer , it is observed that the spectrum obtained contains a number of dark lines in otherwise continuous spectrum. These dark lines appear due to the absorption of radiations of corresponding wavelengths by the substance. The dark lines in the absorption spectrum of a substance appear at the same position as the bright lines in the emission spectrum of the substance.

What does the definition mean. Specially, explain the underlined sentences. Thanks in advance for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you have googled as well as posting this question here. https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~jbattat/a35/cont_abs_em.html includes a good diagram to show the distinction between emission and absorption spectra for a gas. You can also get the same effect when light passes through a transparent solution. (The spectral details are different, of course but the principle is the same).

The light that hasn't been absorbed travels straight through but the absorbed light is re-radiated in all directions, producing a gap (dip) in the transmitted spectrum at those wavelengths.

The only underlined words I see are solutions of the substance, which would mean that the substance is dissolved in a liquid (typically water).

But I didn't see any point in just saying "it's the same". I couldn't actually see why the solution factor would make things different.
Let's wait for a response?

I just thought physics kiddy did not understand what was meant by a solution of the substance. But yes, at this point they can ask if they want further clarification.

Thank you sophi very much. The site was excellent and it helped me clear my doubts.
But I didn't get this line in the Black Body section:

Brick, iron or a dense gas will emit the same spectrum as long as they are at the same temperature. That spectrum will have a peak that lies at a particular wavelength, lambdamax.

Where did you get such a nice website ?

@PK. First site I saw on google. ;-)

The spectra are the same when it's thermal (black body) radiation from a solid. For isolated atoms the spectra have characteristic lines. Pauli exclusion causes lines to spread into bands for more condensed matter. For solutions, I think this would be true also, to some extent.

absorption spectrum gives you the account of the radiation absorbed. if the energy is absorbed in a frequency region then that region appears dark in the spectrum and that is energy absorbed by the atoms or the constituent particles of the substance

What does Heisingberg's Uncertainity Principle mean by saying delta x * delta v >=h/2pi ? x = position and v = velocity, right ? however their product doesn't mean anything.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is an underlying quantum mechanical expression that says if you measure the position and velocity of a quantum particle, there is always a degree of uncertainty in your measurements. This uncertainty is nothing to do with our experimental technologies, it is derived from within quantum mechanics and associated mathematics.

The h bar over 2 is a constant, so the product of uncertainties in position and velocity have to be greater than this constant. With the best ever technology, we would have the product equal to h bar over 2.

Suspension in this context just means that the molecule in question is suspended in a liquid as opposed to a gas. The absorption/emission spectrum will be largely unaffected by the environment for a macroscopic particle.

Claude.

P.S. Heisenbergs uncertainty principle doesn't have much to do with your original question. Try not to convolute unrelated topics.

What is an absorption spectrum?

An absorption spectrum is a graph or visual representation that shows the specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a substance. It is created by passing light through a sample and measuring the amount of light that is transmitted through the sample at different wavelengths.

What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is a graph or visual representation that shows the specific wavelengths of light that are emitted by a substance. It is created by heating the substance and measuring the wavelengths of light that are emitted as the substance cools down.

What is the relationship between absorption and emission spectra?

The absorption and emission spectra of a substance are complementary to each other. This means that the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a substance correspond to the wavelengths of light that are emitted by the substance. This relationship is known as the Kirchhoff's Law.

What information can be obtained from an absorption or emission spectrum?

An absorption or emission spectrum can provide information about the chemical composition and structure of a substance. It can also reveal the energy levels of the electrons in the atoms or molecules of the substance, as well as any transitions between these energy levels.

How are absorption and emission spectra used in scientific research?

Absorption and emission spectra are used in a variety of scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to identify unknown substances, study the properties of atoms and molecules, and analyze the composition of distant objects in space. They are also commonly used in quality control and analysis in industries such as pharmaceuticals and environmental science.