What Are the Key Uses of Bromine in Industry?

• Thread starter chewchun
  • Start date
This use is due to its ability to inhibit the spread of fire and its effectiveness in extinguishing existing fires. It is often used in industrial and household settings for fire safety purposes.
chewchun

Homework Statement

1:Over half a million tonnes of bromine are manufactured annually and are mainly used for making other compounds. One important use is for agricultural chemicals.
What is another important use for bromine?
a)antiseptic agents
b)bleaches for textiles and the paper industry
c)flame-retardants and fire extinguisher
d)water purification

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose D but answer i got from my teacher is C.
I went to read up on the internet and the use of bromine for water treatment seems to be a alternative to chlorine...
And so,I assumed bromine to behave like chlorine...
So if C is the answer,what is the condition for a substance to be used as fire extinguisher?And why isn't D an good answer ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because bromine is a potential replacement for chlorine in water treatment doesn't mean it is used for that purpose - as far as I know the only widely used systems are based on Cl2 and O3.

You can always use Wikipedia to search for your answer, it usually satisfies your queries.

Bromine as flame retardant

1. What are the common uses of bromine?

Bromine is commonly used as a component in flame retardants for furniture and textiles, as a disinfectant in swimming pools and hot tubs, in the production of pharmaceuticals and agricultural chemicals, and as a catalyst in organic synthesis.

2. How is bromine used in everyday products?

Bromine can be found in everyday products such as pesticides, flame retardants, water disinfectants, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used in the production of plastics, dyes, and photographic chemicals.

3. What are the environmental impacts of bromine use?

Bromine can have negative environmental impacts if not properly managed. It can contribute to air pollution and can harm aquatic life if released into water sources. Proper disposal and handling of bromine-containing products is important to minimize these impacts.

4. Can bromine be used in food and beverages?

Yes, bromine compounds are used as preservatives in some food and beverages. However, the use of bromine in food is heavily regulated to ensure safe levels are not exceeded.

5. Are there any health risks associated with bromine exposure?

Bromine can be harmful if ingested or inhaled in large amounts. It can irritate the skin and mucous membranes and can cause respiratory issues. Long-term exposure to high levels of bromine may also have negative health effects. It is important to follow safety guidelines when handling bromine and its compounds.