Moments - How are they actually calculated?

• Thread starter 012anonymousx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, moments are calculated by finding the perpendicular component of the force and multiplying it by the distance. This is represented mathematically as ##\vec{l} = \vec{r} \times \vec{f}## where ##\theta## is the angle between the position vector and the force vector. This is equivalent to saying that it is the perpendicular component of the force.
012anonymousx
Moments -- How are they actually calculated?

Hello, I have a question.

Is the moment calculated:

Force times the distance or

Force's perpendicular component (to axis) times the distance.

For example, let's say I have a stick.

Pulling on it is not moment.

So if I push at the stick to an angle, the way I calculate the force that the other side is applying is by taking the perpendicular component of my Fa and multiplying it by the distance.

Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, when you are calculating moments, you would use the perpendicular component. The parallel component will not produce any moment as the perpendicular distance is zero.

Likes 1 person
Mathematically, a moment is ##\vec{l} = \vec{r} \times \vec{f}##. The magnitude comes out as ##l = rf\sin\theta##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the position vector and the force vector. This is equivalent to saying that it is the perpendicular component of the force.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

Thank you for your question. The calculation of moments depends on the specific situation and the type of moment being calculated. Generally, moments are calculated by multiplying a force by the distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. This can be done using either the perpendicular component of the force or the full force vector, depending on the angle at which the force is applied. In your example with the stick, if you are applying a force perpendicular to the stick, then yes, you would use the perpendicular component of the force in your calculation. However, if you are applying the force at an angle, you would need to use the full force vector in your calculation. I hope this helps clarify the concept of moments for you.

1. How do you define a moment in physics?

A moment in physics is a measure of the turning effect of a force. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

2. What is the equation for calculating a moment?

The equation for calculating a moment is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force applied, and d is the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

3. How are moments calculated in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, moments can be calculated by using tools such as rulers, protractors, and force meters. These tools help to accurately measure the force and distance components needed for the calculation.

4. Can moments be negative?

Yes, moments can be negative. A negative moment indicates that the turning effect of the force is in the opposite direction compared to a positive moment. This can happen when the force is applied in the opposite direction of the rotation or if the pivot point is on the opposite side of the line of action of the force.

5. How do moments affect the stability of an object?

Moments play a crucial role in determining the stability of an object. If the total clockwise moments are equal to the total anticlockwise moments, the object will be in equilibrium and remain stable. However, if the moments are unbalanced, the object will start to rotate and become unstable.