Will a magnet lift a very thin coated sheet of nickel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a small magnet for holding a thin sample with layers of copper, nickel, and gold. The thickness of the layers is mentioned, as well as the previous success of using a magnet with a thicker layer of nickel. The possibility of the magnet's ability being affected by the reduced thickness of the ferromagnetic layer is also brought up. It is suggested to try it and see, as there may not be a simple analytical solution. The potential for using the existing sample to test the magnet's strength is also mentioned, as well as the relatively small weight of the sample.
Stuey
Hi, I am trying to work out if a small magnet can be used to hold a thin sample that I have. The sample is flat and about 10mm x 10mm in size. The sample is a layer of copper, with nickel plated on that. There is then a gold coating on the nickel. The copper is 0.05mm thick, the nickel 0.005mm thick and the gold 0.005mm thick. The magnet would be in contact with the gold layer.

I had a previous sample that the magnet could lift, but this had x10 thicker nickel (0.05mm thick). I am wondering if reducing the thickness of the ferromagnetic layer will reduce ability of magnet to hold the sample against gravity ?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
It may well do ... why not try it and see?

I was interested to know if the problem has a simple analytical solution (and I won't have the parts for several weeks)

I see ... the problem does not have a simple analytical solution.
You could back-of-envelope it ... the thinner metal would have 1/10th the magnetic domains so pretend the sticking power is 1/10th as strong but the weight is also smaller.
(You culd also see how much extra weight you can hold using the existing sample.)

These are milligram quantities though.
Unless your magnet is very puny, it should be like picking up iron filings.

Based on the information provided, it is unlikely that the magnet will be able to lift the sample with a very thin coated sheet of nickel. The thickness of the nickel layer plays a crucial role in determining the strength of the magnet's hold. With a thickness of only 0.005mm, the nickel layer may not provide enough magnetic attraction to hold the sample against gravity. Additionally, the gold coating may act as a barrier between the magnet and the nickel layer, further reducing the magnetic force.

To confirm this, I would recommend conducting a small experiment by gradually reducing the thickness of the nickel layer and observing the magnet's ability to lift the sample. It is also important to consider the strength of the magnet itself and its distance from the sample, as these factors can also affect the magnetic force.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the thickness and composition of the sample when determining if a magnet can lift it. In this case, a stronger magnet or a thicker nickel layer may be necessary to lift the sample.

1. Can a magnet lift a very thin coated sheet of nickel?

Yes, depending on the strength of the magnet and the thickness of the nickel coating, a magnet can lift a very thin coated sheet of nickel.

2. How does a magnet lift the nickel sheet?

A magnet is able to lift a nickel sheet because the nickel is a ferromagnetic material, meaning it can be magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field.

3. Will the strength of the magnet affect its ability to lift the nickel sheet?

Yes, the strength of the magnet will play a significant role in its ability to lift the nickel sheet. A stronger magnet will have a greater magnetic field and be able to lift a thicker nickel coating.

4. What factors can affect the lifting capacity of a magnet on a nickel sheet?

The thickness of the nickel coating, the strength of the magnet, and any other materials between the magnet and the nickel sheet can all affect the lifting capacity of a magnet on a nickel sheet.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a magnet to lift a nickel sheet?

Yes, it is important to handle a magnet with caution and avoid placing it near any electronic devices or pacemakers. Additionally, the nickel sheet may have sharp edges, so it is important to wear protective gloves when handling it.