One-Dimensional Kinematics problem

In summary, The problem involves two cars, one accelerating at a constant rate of -1.9 m/s2 and the other traveling at a constant velocity of 11 m/s. The question asks for the minimum distance the faster car can be from the slower car before applying brakes to avoid collision, the time at which the collision occurs, and the distance the slower car travels before being hit. To solve this, we can use the equations of motion for each car and set them equal to each other to find the point of collision. Alternatively, we can use the concept of relative velocity and acceleration to find the minimum distance before applying brakes.
tchronos
Hi, i have some questions for the following problems.

A car accelerate at -1.9 m/s2. Traveling at a constant velocity of 32 m/s, this car comes up behind a car traveling at a constant velocity of11 m/s.

a) How close to the slower car can the driver of the faster car come before applying his brakes and still avoid a collision?

b) At what time does the inevitable collision of the two cars occur?

c) How far beyond its position at t = 0 does the slower car get before it is hit?

so the |a1| = 1.9 m/s2
v1 = 32 m/s
v2 = 11 m/s.

Since it accelerates in a negative direction then it is deccelerating at a constant rate. For every second the velocity with decrease by 1.9 until it crashes with the second car with has a constant velocity. Now I don't understand what the question is asking for part a)

Can anyone help? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the equations of motion for each car and then impose the conditions that fulfiled for the crash to happen.

Daniel.

hi thanks for the reply.
I found that the two equations for the position.

X1 = V1t + .5 at^2
X2 = D + V2t

If i set these two equal, I should find the point of collision but there are two variables and they don't give me D or T. If they have given me D then the problem will be a lot easier.

On the first problem, I want to find the D but they did not provide me with a time.

Try using the velocity equation for car 1 to find t.

Better yet, use concept of relative velocity and relative acceleration. Set the final relative position at 0 and solve for initial position.

What is one-dimensional kinematics?

One-dimensional kinematics is the study of motion in a straight line. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering the causes of its motion.

What are the basic equations used in one-dimensional kinematics problems?

The basic equations used in one-dimensional kinematics are the equations of motion, which include displacement (Δx = xf - xi), velocity (v = Δx / Δt), and acceleration (a = Δv / Δt).

How do you solve a one-dimensional kinematics problem?

To solve a one-dimensional kinematics problem, you must first identify the given information and what is being asked for. Then, use the appropriate equation(s) to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given situation.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in one-dimensional kinematics?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

How is acceleration related to velocity in one-dimensional kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time (a = Δv / Δt). If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing over time. If an object has a constant velocity, its acceleration is zero.