String Theory & Wavefunction collapse

In summary, there was a conversation about string theory and its role in explaining the collapse of the wave function in quantum mechanics. The conclusion was that string theory does not offer a deeper explanation than what was previously worked out and it only focuses on on-shell calculations, without considering virtual strings. Some participants expressed discomfort with the Bohmian approach, which advocates for a different perspective on wave function collapse. However, one participant defended the Bohmian approach and suggested that it should be given the same attention as other theories.
NeutronStar
Does string theory provide an explanation for the collapse of the wave function in QM?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. Basic string theory assumes that elementary quantum formalism is fundamental.

Right. String theory doesn't go any deeper in explanation than was previously worked out. One thing that they have though is that they only do on-shell calculations. This means they don't have "virtual strings" in their theory.

Thank you gentlemen,

I didn't think it offered an explanation but I just wanted to check to be sure.

Demystifier, you are a tireless advicate for Bohmian approaches. These were formerly a no-no here, but have come to be accepted as variants within the pale. Nevertheless, jogging our elbows on every possible occasion with "check out the Bohmian view" gets pretty old. Just a rant, not really a rejection.

It's possible that string theory may eventually have something to say about how the cosmological wavefunction collapses.

I too am uncomfortable with the Bohm approach. The wave function collapse, at least in my mind, is a useful analogy - not unlike the rubber sheet in GR. I doubt it is physically meaningful.

selfAdjoint said:
Demystifier, you are a tireless advicate for Bohmian approaches. These were formerly a no-no here, but have come to be accepted as variants within the pale. Nevertheless, jogging our elbows on every possible occasion with "check out the Bohmian view" gets pretty old. Just a rant, not really a rejection.
I just want to draw the physicists attention to the possibility that there is more about the Bohmian approach than they think. If LQG people and string people can advertise their approaches, I do not see a reason why Bohmian people could not do the same thing. Moreover, as the Bohmian approach is not that established as LQG and string theory, the bohmians are forced to be more aggresive in their advertisement if they want to become competitive.

Chronos said:
I too am uncomfortable with the Bohm approach. The wave function collapse, at least in my mind, is a useful analogy - not unlike the rubber sheet in GR. I doubt it is physically meaningful.
Well, the Bohmian interpretation says that there is NO true wave-function collapse. So, why exactly are you uncomfortable with the Bohm approach?

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but instead tiny, one-dimensional strings.

2. How does String Theory explain the nature of gravity?

String Theory explains gravity as a result of these tiny strings vibrating at different frequencies. The way in which the strings vibrate determines the force and behavior of gravity in a particular region of space.

3. What is Wavefunction Collapse?

Wavefunction Collapse is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the reduction of a wavefunction to a single, definite state. This occurs when an observer measures or interacts with a quantum system, causing it to "collapse" into a specific state.

4. How does String Theory relate to Wavefunction Collapse?

String Theory can help explain the concept of Wavefunction Collapse by providing a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at a quantum level. It suggests that particles are not just point-like objects, but instead tiny strings that vibrate and interact with each other in complex ways.

5. Is there any experimental evidence for String Theory and Wavefunction Collapse?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for String Theory or Wavefunction Collapse. However, there have been mathematical and theoretical developments that support the principles of these theories. Further research and experiments are needed to fully test and validate these ideas.