Science based games for children

In summary, the conversation involved a person looking for ideas for a science-based game/competition for children aged 9-13. Suggestions were made for using ciphers and cryptography, building a steam engine for a boat, and exploring chemical reactions. Internet resources were also recommended. One person shared their experience of creating a math board game, but it was not successful.
r4nd0m
I couldn't really find a forum in which this problem could fit so I try to post it here.
I have to prepare a science based (physics, math, chemistry) game/competition for children aged 9-13. It should be about some funny and exciting experiments, solving various problems in mentioned fields. The problem is I'm out of ideas. I was thinking about doing something with ciphers and cryptography, maybe to make some simple steam engine for a boat and then race, ... something like that,...
Does anybody have a good idea for this kind of games?
Internet resources would be also helpful.
Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I would go dangerous and see what explosion could be made and why. Using teh chemisrty side of things really.

I did have to do this idea myself but I ended up doing a maths board game that involved going back [tex]\sqrt[3]{2^2 \times 2}[/tex] times. It was pants.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. "Mystery Lab": This game could involve solving puzzles and riddles related to science concepts such as gravity, electricity, and chemistry. The children could be divided into teams and compete against each other to solve the mysteries first.

2. "Science Olympics": This game could have different rounds, each focusing on a different science subject such as physics, math, or chemistry. Children could participate in fun experiments and challenges related to each subject and earn points for their team. The team with the most points at the end wins the competition.

3. "Escape Room: Science Edition": Create an escape room with a science theme where children have to solve puzzles and complete challenges related to science concepts to escape the room. This would be a fun and interactive way for children to learn and apply their knowledge.

4. "Science Trivia Challenge": Create a trivia game with questions related to various science topics. Children could compete individually or in teams and earn points for correct answers. This game could also include fun physical challenges related to science, such as building a tower using only toothpicks and marshmallows.

As for internet resources, websites like Science Kids, National Geographic Kids, and Mystery Science have a variety of science-based activities and experiments suitable for children in this age group. You could also consider reaching out to local science museums or science clubs for additional resources and ideas. Best of luck with your game/competition!

1. What are science based games for children?

Science based games for children are educational games that incorporate scientific concepts and principles in a fun and interactive way. These games are designed to engage children in learning about various scientific topics such as biology, chemistry, physics, and more.

2. What are the benefits of science based games for children?

There are many benefits to playing science based games for children. These games can improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and scientific knowledge. They also promote curiosity and a love for learning, while making the subject of science more enjoyable and accessible for children.

3. How can parents and educators find science based games for children?

There are many resources available for finding science based games for children. Some options include browsing online educational game websites, checking out educational toy stores, and asking for recommendations from other parents and educators. It is also a good idea to look for games that have received positive reviews and have been endorsed by reputable educational organizations.

4. Are science based games appropriate for all ages?

Yes, there are science based games available for children of all ages. There are games designed specifically for younger children, with simpler concepts and gameplay, as well as more advanced games for older children. It is important to choose games that are age-appropriate and align with the child's current level of scientific understanding.

5. Can science based games really help children learn about science?

Yes, science based games can be an effective tool for teaching children about scientific concepts. These games are designed to be engaging and interactive, which can make learning about science more enjoyable and memorable for children. However, it is important for parents and educators to also supplement game play with other educational activities and resources to further reinforce the concepts being taught.