Function Composition: Graphing f(g(x)) Without Equations

In summary: The only difference is that you have to look up the values on the graphs, instead of compute them. A = g(x), y = f(A), this is how you would compute a function composition, right? These X's and Y's would be the coord's of the point on the new graph. The intermediate value of A is just used to look up the proper value of the function composition.
SD-Ness
Hello, I've been an intermittent poster here for about five years. I've come back for another shot at PF. So for a first thread:

Class is a currently a review of old topics. One of them is 'function composition.' I was doing an assignment today and came upon a question that required one to graph f(g(x)) from two graphs given f(x) and g(x). There were no equations supplied. How might one go about graphing f(g(x))? I am not sure of the relationship here, unfortunately.

Physics news on Phys.org
SD-Ness said:
Class is a currently a review of old topics. One of them is 'function composition.' I was doing an assignment today and came upon a question that required one to graph f(g(x)) from two graphs given f(x) and g(x). There were no equations supplied. How might one go about graphing f(g(x))? I am not sure of the relationship here, unfortunately.

It sounds like you have two graphs, and have to generate a third one, f(g(x)) from the graphs of f(x) and g(x)?

Well, right now, you have y=g(x) and y=f(x). But you want a graph which is y=f(g(x)). Is this enough to get you started? This sounds like a pain, BTW.

Dot

Dorothy Weglend said:
It sounds like you have two graphs, and have to generate a third one, f(g(x)) from the graphs of f(x) and g(x)?

Well, right now, you have y=g(x) and y=f(x). But you want a graph which is y=f(g(x)). Is this enough to get you started? This sounds like a pain, BTW.

Dot
Yes, this is correct. I have two graphs - f(x) and g(x) - and I need to generate the third, f(g(x)).

I know that y=g(x) and y=f(x), but I'm not sure how to generate y=f(g(x)) from that.

let x=g(x), to sub into the equation y = f(x)? don't know if its an help. its a strange question.

Last edited:
SD-Ness said:
Yes, this is correct. I have two graphs - f(x) and g(x) - and I need to generate the third, f(g(x)).

I know that y=g(x) and y=f(x), but I'm not sure how to generate y=f(g(x)) from that.

The only difference is that you have to look up the values on the graphs, instead of compute them. A = g(x), y = f(A), this is how you would compute a function composition, right? These X's and Y's would be the coord's of the point on the new graph. The intermediate value of A is just used to look up the proper value of the function composition.

I'm assuming here that the graphs are complicated, and it's not possible to recover the functions that generated them. If they are simple, like a straight line or a parabola, then you could recover the functions (or make a good guess) and generate a formula to plot the new graph directly.

Dot

Dot

1. What is function composition?

Function composition is a mathematical concept where two functions are combined to create a new function. The output of one function becomes the input of the other function.

2. How do you graph f(g(x)) without equations?

To graph f(g(x)), first graph the inner function g(x). Then, use the resulting points as inputs for the outer function f(x). The resulting points will be the output for f(g(x)), which can be graphed to create the final graph.

3. What is the order of operations for function composition?

The order of operations for function composition is to first perform the inner function, and then use the resulting output as the input for the outer function. This follows the standard order of operations in mathematics.

4. Can any two functions be composed together?

Not all functions can be composed together. The inner function must have an output that is within the domain of the outer function. Additionally, the resulting composition must also have a valid domain and range.

5. What is the purpose of graphing f(g(x)) without equations?

Graphing f(g(x)) without equations allows us to visually see the relationship between two functions and how they are combined to create a new function. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of the composite function.