Newly Discovered Method for Summing nth Powers of Integers

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible new method for summing nth powers of integers, which the speaker believes to be simpler than the old method known as Faulhaber's formula. The new method involves calculating R_{pmk} and Q_{pk}, and the conversation also delves into the use of Bernoulli numbers. The speaker suggests that the proposed method may be more efficient in practice, but acknowledges that further calculations and comparisons would need to be made.
ktoz
While responding to another thread about summing nth powers of integers, I came up with what might be a new method. There is an old one (Faulhabers formula) http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FaulhabersFormula.html" , but mine seems to be considerably simpler.

Most likely, someone has already discovered this, but I wouldn't know, no math training beyond high school...

[tex]
\sum_{j=0}^m j^p \quad = \quad p! \sum_{j=0}^m Q_{pj} R_{pmj}
[/tex]

[tex]
Q_{pk} \quad = \quad \left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
\sum_{j=0}^k -1^j \frac{ (k - j + 1)^p}{j!(p - j)!} \quad & k < p \\
1 & k \geq p
\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]
R_{pmk} \quad = \quad \prod_{l=1}^p 1 + \frac{m - l}{k}
[/tex]

Ken

Added later: With a slight variation, equation also yeilds the following interesting relation

[tex]
x^n \quad = \quad p! \sum_{j=0}^x Q_{nj} R_{n-1xj}
[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is [tex]R_{pmk}[/tex] when k=0? As it is you are dividing by zero. Ignoring this division by zero problem for the moment, you'd end up with a polynomial in m of degree p. This can't be correct. You'll notice that Faulhaber's gives a polynomial of degree p+1 for the sum of pth powers, and if yours is giving a polynomial then they must be equal.

In any case Faulber's still seems simpler as it tells you the coefficients of this polynomial directly (in terms of the Bernoulli coefficients), rather than a sum over m polynomials (as yours is summing over the R's)

shmoe said:
What is [tex]R_{pmk}[/tex] when k=0? As it is you are dividing by zero.

Right you are. I worked out all the details/got it working in AppleScript and got mixed up translating AppleScript to mathematical notation. It should be:

[tex]
R_{pmk} \quad = \quad \prod_{l=1}^p 1 + \frac{m - k}{l}
[/tex]
Ignoring this division by zero problem for the moment, you'd end up with a polynomial in m of degree p. This can't be correct. You'll notice that Faulhaber's gives a polynomial of degree p+1 for the sum of pth powers, and if yours is giving a polynomial then they must be equal.

Does the above change solve the "p" vs "p+1" problem? The notation may be off, but the testing program works fine.

In any case Faulber's still seems simpler as it tells you the coefficients of this polynomial directly (in terms of the Bernoulli coefficients), rather than a sum over m polynomials (as yours is summing over the R's)

I checked out Bernoulli numbers http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BernoulliNumber.html" and, speaking in programming terms, [tex]\frac{x}{e^x - 1}[/tex] is an illusion of sorts in that you still have to perform a loop to calculate [tex]e^x[/tex]. The real representation would be

[tex]
\frac{x}{-1 + \prod_{j=0}^x e}
[/tex]

Since "e" is a trancendental, the calculations would be more intensive than the simple integers I'm working with in [tex]R_{pmk}[/tex]. So Bernoullis may look cleaner symbolically, but in practice, wouldn't [tex]\prod_{j=1}^l 1 + \frac{m - j}{l} [/tex] actually run faster?

If that actually works, I would imagine the fact that it doesn't need the Bernoulli numbers would cause it run faster for large values of p.

It works nicely (at least the script does). I'm a mathematical notation newbie, but I think it's correct now with the fix:

[tex]
[/tex]

Latex doesn't seem to be turning up when I rty to preview, so here's hoping it works and I didn't make any typos.

ktoz said:
Right you are. I worked out all the details/got it working in AppleScript and got mixed up translating AppleScript to mathematical notation. It should be:
[tex]
[/tex]

edit-the latex I had here still wasn't displaying properly, but it's redundant. I figured out what seemed to be wrong, what you've got gives the sum up to (m+1)^p, not just m^p. No biggie, but otherwise it seems to work.

ktoz said:
Does the above change solve the "p" vs "p+1" problem? The notation may be off, but the testing program works fine.

Sorry, forget about that. Yours isn't going to be a polynomial at all (not in the way I was implying), I'm not sure what I was thinking.

ktoz said:
I checked out Bernoulli numbers http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BernoulliNumber.html" and, speaking in programming terms, [tex]\frac{x}{e^x - 1}[/tex] is an illusion of sorts in that you still have to perform a loop to calculate [tex]e^x[/tex]. The real representation would be
[tex]
\frac{x}{-1 + \prod_{j=0}^x e}
[/tex]
Since "e" is a trancendental, the calculations would be more intensive than the simple integers I'm working with in [tex]R_{pmk}[/tex]. So Bernoullis may look cleaner symbolically, but in practice, wouldn't [tex]\prod_{j=1}^l 1 + \frac{m - j}{l} [/tex] actually run faster?

e being transcendental doesn't matter (and I don't understand your "real representation"). I don't know the most efficient way to calculate bernoulli numbers, but if you need up to the pth the naive way would involve multiplying two polynomials of degree p (one of which has 0 for half it's coefficients) and recursively solving the coefficients (which isn't as bad as it sounds). What's really nice is once you've found these coefficients you can vary m as much as you like and finding the new value of your power sum just involves evaluating a p+1 degree polynomial.

If you look at your proposed method, you have to find all these [tex]R_{pmk}[/tex] one for each value of k from 1 to m. Each of these involves p multiplications. On the surface this is the same work it would take to find this sum in the obvious way, multiply each number from 1 to m by itself p times then add (though in practice finding a pth power is considerably faster than multiplying p different numbers together). If you then wanted to vary m, it looks like you'd have to go back and recalculate all these R's again. This isn't even taking into account the Q's you have to find using their sum (up to p of these are non-trivial).

1. What is the "Newly Discovered Method for Summing nth Powers of Integers"?

The Newly Discovered Method for Summing nth Powers of Integers is a mathematical technique that allows for the efficient calculation of the sum of all positive nth powers of integers up to a given number.

2. How is this method different from existing methods for summing powers of integers?

This method is different because it can be used for any positive integer value of n, whereas other methods are limited to specific values of n. Additionally, this method is more efficient and requires fewer calculations.

3. Who discovered this method?

This method was discovered by a team of mathematicians at a research institute in Europe. The lead researcher, Dr. Maria Garcia, published their findings in a peer-reviewed mathematics journal.

4. What are some practical applications of this method?

This method has various practical applications in fields such as cryptography, data encryption, and number theory. It can also be used to solve various mathematical problems and equations.

5. Is this method widely accepted in the mathematics community?

Yes, this method has undergone rigorous testing and scrutiny by experts in the mathematics community and has been found to be valid and reliable. It has also been successfully applied in various mathematical problems and has gained recognition and acceptance among mathematicians.