Understanding 4-Vector Momentum^2

• Thread starter Ene Dene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    4-vector
In summary, this equation is describing the energy of a particle, with m being its mass and p its momentum. If you take c=1, E^2=m^2. However, if you take c=0, E^2=mc^2.
Ene Dene
I'm having a problem understanding this:

[tex]P^2=P_{\mu}P^\mu=m^2[/tex]

If we take c=1.

Here is what bothers me:

[tex]P(E, \vec{p})=E^2-(\vec{p})^2[/tex]

Now, I assume that E=mc^2, and for c=1, E^2=m^2? Is that correct?

And I don't know what p^2 is, I look at it as:

[tex](\vec{p})^2=m^2(\vec{v})^2[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ene Dene said:

If we take c=1.

Here is what bothers me:

Now, I assume that E=mc^2, and for c=1, E^2=m^2? Is that correct?

And I don't know what p^2 is, I look at it as:

[tex](\vec{p})^2=m^2(\vec{v})^2[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

I am not exactly sure what bothers you but one point: [tex] E = \gamma m c^2 [/tex], not mc^2 (which is valid only in the rest frame of the particle). Also the momentum is the relativistic three-momentum so it's [itex] \gamma m \vec{v} [/itex]

Your first equation shows m^2=E^2-p^2.
Your assumption E=m is wrong.

Ene Dene said:

If we take c=1.

Here is what bothers me:

Now, I assume that E=mc^2, and for c=1, E^2=m^2? Is that correct?[/tex]

The symbol 'E' in this equation is the total energy of the particle. The popularly-known equation E = mc^2 refers to the "rest mass-energy of the particle" and is really an incorrect use of the symbol.

'p' here is just the regular ol' 3-momentum, mass times the 3-dimensional velocity vector for the particle. The so-called "4-momentum" [tex]P^{\mu}[/tex] is a 4-dimensional vector whose components are

( iE, p_x, p_y, p_z ) [or flip signs depending on whose notational convention you use].

Your original relation then,

[tex]P^2=P_{\mu}P^{\mu}[/tex]

is then just taking the "dot product" of P with itself to get the square of the magnitude,

[tex]P^2 = E^2 - p^2 = (mc^2)^2[/tex] , again with appropriate adjustments for local notational practice.

Last edited:
As already said, the popular formula E = mc^2 -- mostly misquoted -- is a) not generally applicable and b) not even a main result of special relativity, it's more like a small remark buried somewhere deep inside the text.

To stick with Ene Dene's approach: if you plug in the correct formula
[tex]E = \sqrt{ (\gamma m c^2)^2 + (m p^2)^2 }[/tex]
you will get a consistent result.
In units where c = 1, it'd be
[tex]E^2 = \gamma m^2 + p^4[/tex]
and
[tex]p = \gamma m v[/tex].
Also note that you can deduce where E = mc^2 is applicable; the general formula reduces to it in the rest frame (p = 0) at non-relativistic speeds ([itex]\gamma \approx 1[/itex]).

1. What is 4-vector momentum?

4-vector momentum is a mathematical representation of momentum in the context of special relativity. It includes both the spatial components (x, y, z) and the time component (ct) of momentum, where c is the speed of light and t is time.

2. Why is 4-vector momentum important?

4-vector momentum is important because it allows for the conservation of momentum to be applied in all reference frames, even in situations where objects are moving at high speeds. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in relativistic systems.

3. How is 4-vector momentum calculated?

4-vector momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its 4-velocity, which is a vector that describes the object's speed and direction in space and time. The resulting 4-vector has both magnitude and direction and is a useful tool for analyzing the motion of objects in special relativity.

4. What is the significance of the square of 4-vector momentum?

The square of 4-vector momentum (represented as p2) is a Lorentz invariant quantity, meaning it has the same value in all reference frames. This allows for the calculation of the mass of an object, even in situations where it is moving at high speeds and time is dilated.

5. How does 4-vector momentum relate to energy?

By using the equation E2 = (pc)2 + (mc2)2, where E is energy, p is 4-vector momentum, and m is mass, we can see that 4-vector momentum is directly related to energy. This relationship is a fundamental aspect of special relativity and is used in many calculations and theories in modern physics.