Finding the co-ordinates of the points on a triangle

In summary, the person has been struggling to find the coordinates of a third vertex based on the position of two points, all the sides, and one of the included angles. They have tried different approaches but none have worked. The expert suggests using simultaneous equations or the distance formula to solve the problem and asks for more information about the specific angle in question.
tyroiusrtmaon
So I've been trying to figure this out for quite a while and all the sources I've found on the internet haven't seemed to work. Basically what I have is the position of two points, I have all the sides and one of the included angles and I want to find the coordinates of the third vertex. I've tried several different approaches and none have really worked, I'd appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try setting all your data in a coordinate system...

tyroiusrtmaon said:
So I've been trying to figure this out for quite a while and all the sources I've found on the internet haven't seemed to work. Basically what I have is the position of two points, I have all the sides and one of the included angles and I want to find the coordinates of the third vertex. I've tried several different approaches and none have really worked, I'd appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

"You have all the sides"? You could mean:

1. you have the equations for the lines that are the sides.
2. you have their length.

(1)If you have there equations, then you can find a common value of x and y that solves both of the equations. This is called simultaneous equations.

(2)If you have there length, then you could write L² = (X - x)² + (Y - y)² where little x and y are the co-ordinates of the 3rd vertex. And big X and Y are the co-ordinates of the known vertex. And L is the length between them that you have been given. You could do this for the lengths between each of the known vertices and the unknown one. Again, this would lead to simultaneous equations.

"and one of the included angles" Do you know where the angle is located? As in, do you know the two different sides that meet to create this angle?

Give us a bit more detail on your problem

What is the formula for finding the coordinates of the points on a triangle?

The formula for finding the coordinates of the points on a triangle is (x,y) where x and y are the coordinates of the point and are given by the following equations:
x = (x1 + x2 + x3) / 3
y = (y1 + y2 + y3) / 3
where x1, x2, x3 and y1, y2, y3 are the coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle.

How do I find the coordinates of the vertices of a right triangle?

To find the coordinates of the vertices of a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Using this theorem, you can find the coordinates of the vertices by solving for x and y in the equation x2 + y2 = c2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse.

Can I use the distance formula to find the coordinates of the points on a triangle?

Yes, you can use the distance formula to find the coordinates of the points on a triangle. The distance formula is given by d = √((x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of two points on the triangle. By setting the distance between two points to be equal to the length of one of the sides of the triangle, you can solve for the coordinates of the third point.

What are the coordinates of the centroid of a triangle?

The centroid of a triangle is the point where the three medians of the triangle intersect. The medians are the lines connecting each vertex of the triangle to the midpoint of the opposite side. To find the coordinates of the centroid, you can use the formula (x,y) = (x1 + x2 + x3) / 3, (y1 + y2 + y3) / 3 where (x1, y1), (x2, y2), and (x3, y3) are the coordinates of the vertices of the triangle.

Can I use trigonometry to find the coordinates of the points on a triangle?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to find the coordinates of the points on a triangle. You can use the law of cosines or the law of sines to find the lengths of the sides of the triangle. Then, using the coordinates of one point and the lengths of the sides, you can find the coordinates of the other points using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent.