Some theorem regarding rational numbers

In summary, to prove that there is a rational number z such that x<z<y when x is irrational, you can use the floor function to approximate x and then add a rational number r such that x<r<y. This will result in a rational number z between x and y.
Ed Quanta
If y>x where x and y are both elements of the reals, but x is also irrational, I must prove that there is a rational number z such that x<z<y. I can only show this is true when x is rational. How do you add something to an irrational number to make it rational?

Physics news on Phys.org
Warning- I'm not an expert.
I think you can use two theorems to prove this.

1a) if r is in Q, and x is irrational, then r+x is irrational.
1b) if r is in Q, r [not=] 0, and x is irrational, then r*x is irrational.

1a) assume r+x is in Q. Since Q is closed under addition and (-r) is in Q if r is in Q, then (r+x)+(-r)=[r+(-r)]+x=0+x=x is in Q, a contradiction.
1b) same, substituting multiplication for addition.

2a) If x and y are in R, and x>0, then there is a positive integer n such that n*x>y.
2b) If x and y are in R, and x<y, then there exists a p in Q such that x<p<y.

2a) hint- prove by contradiction using least upper bound property of R.
2b) hint- since x<y, y-x>0 and you can use 2a).

Combine the two, assuming x is irrational and y is rational.

I haven't worked this out yet, but 2) is proved in my book (so you know they are theorems), it might give you a start until an expert comes along :)
Happy thoughts
Rachel

Last edited:
Ed Quanta said:
How do you add something to an irrational number to make it rational?

Since R is a field, add its additive inverse to get (rational) 0.
x+(-x)=0

Maybe this isn't what you wanted.

take y an irrational, let [y] denote the floor function.

what is [y] (not a trick) what about y-[y], call this a? what about 10a? and [10a]?

now take y - [y] -[10a]/10 and floot that, and so on

can you figureout how to make the decimal approximation of y? what is the difference at the r'th stage in theis construction? can you make this less than y-x?

What is a floor function? And how do I know that I can use it?

The floor function [y] gives the largest integer less than or equal to y. ex.
y=13, [y]=13
y=1.3, [y]=1
y=(-1.3), [y]=(-2)

You can use it because there is an integer less than or equal to every real y.

Ed Quanta said:
If y>x where x and y are both elements of the reals, but x is also irrational, I must prove that there is a rational number z such that x<z<y. I can only show this is true when x is rational. How do you add something to an irrational number to make it rational?

Here's a nice easy one:

Now, [tex]y>x \rightarrow y-x > 0[/tex]. Let's let [tex]\epsilon=y-x[/tex].

Let's say that x has the decimal expansion [tex]n.d_1d_2d_3...[/tex], and
then let [tex]r=0.f_1f_2f_3...[/tex]

where

[tex]
f_i=0[/tex] if [tex]10^{-i+1} > \epsilon[/tex]
and
[tex]f_i=9-d_i[/tex] otherwise.

Then [tex]x+r[/tex] is rational because it will end in [tex]\bar{9}[/tex], and
[tex]0 \leq r < \epsilon [/tex]. so
[tex]x \leq x + r < x + \epsilon \rightarrow x \leq x+r < y[/tex]
Which is what you wanted to prove.
You can make the [tex]\leq[/tex] strict if you note that x is irrational, and [tex]x+r[/tex] is rational, thus they cannot be equal.

What is a rational number?

A rational number is any number that can be expressed as a ratio (or fraction) of two integers. This includes both positive and negative numbers.

What is a theorem?

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and mathematical principles.

What is the importance of the theorem regarding rational numbers?

The theorem regarding rational numbers is important because it helps us understand the relationship between rational numbers and their properties. It also allows us to manipulate and solve problems involving rational numbers with confidence that our solutions are valid.

Can you provide an example of how the theorem is applied?

One example of how the theorem regarding rational numbers is applied is in simplifying fractions. By using the theorem, we can determine the greatest common divisor of the numerator and denominator and divide both by this number to simplify the fraction.

Are there any exceptions to the theorem?

No, the theorem regarding rational numbers is a fundamental concept in mathematics and holds true in all cases. However, it may not always be applicable in certain situations, such as when dealing with complex numbers.