What is the relationship between stability and the derivative of a fixed point?

In summary: H(x_n, y_n, z_n)\right.In summary, the point "a" is stable iff:|f^{'}(a)| < 1.Currently I'm working on a bit different dynamic system that made me confused to determine the stability conditions for an arbitrary point, say "a". This dynamic system is: x_{n+1}= x_n + \lambda \left( f(x_n, x_{n-1}) - f(x_{n-1}, x_{n-2})\right).this system is not only related to time "n", but also related to times "n-
smehdi
Dear friends,

I want to find the conditions of stability of a fixed point. consider the function "f" iterates to obtain fixed point "a":
[itex] x_{n+1}= f(x_n)[/itex]

for this dynamic system, the fixed point "a" is stable if we have:
[itex] |f ^{\prime}(a)| < 1[/itex]

Currently I'm working on a bit different dynamic system that made me confused to determine the stability conditions for an arbitrary point, say "a". This dynamic system is:

[itex] x_{n+1}= x_n + \lambda \left( f(x_n, x_{n-1}) - f(x_{n-1}, x_{n-2})\right)[/itex].

this system is not only related to time "n", but also related to times "n-1" and "n-2".

Can anybody help me or give me clue to find the conditions?

suppose [itex] f(x_n)= c * x_n + d* x_{n-1}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For me, it seems the problem lies in defining stability of a fixed point for a function that is a function of times before "n", like, in your case, "n-1" and "n-2".

For a function that is a function only of the previous value of x, a fixed point [itex]a[/itex] is said stable if, for a given initial condition [itex]x_0[/itex] near [itex]a[/itex], [itex]x_1[/itex] is nearer of [itex]a[/itex] than [itex]x_0[/itex] (and [itex]x_2[/itex] is nearer of [itex]a[/itex] than [itex]x_1[/itex] and so on).

Writing "near" and "nearer" as matemathical expressions leads to the condition [itex]|f^{'}(a)<1|[/itex].

But how to do the same thing for a function that is a function of several previous points? In your case, the first point we would be able to calculate is the point [itex]x_3[/itex], as it is a function of [itex]x_2[/itex], [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex], and they must be given as initial conditions.

How would we say that all this initial conditions are "near" the fixed point, so the following points ([itex]x_4[/itex], [itex]x_5[/itex], etc) are "nearer"?

Should we say that [itex]x_2=x_1=x_0[/itex], [itex]x_0[/itex] being near to [itex]a[/itex] and derive some condition from there?

Should we say that [itex]|x_2-a|<|x_1-a|<|x_0-a|[/itex]?

Should we say that [itex]x_2[/itex], [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] are arbitrary, but all of them are "near" [itex]a[/itex]?

I don't know, and so i can't give an answer. But at least i think i understand the problem you posed.

Last edited:
Dear coelho,
Really thanks for reply.
The big problem is that this function is a function of several previous points!

For this function suppose that we have [itex] x_1 , x_2, x_3[/itex] near [itex]a[/itex] and also [itex] |x_2−a|<|x_1−a|<|x_0−a| [/itex], i.e., different points are get closer and closer to the final point [itex] a[/itex]. I want to find a general rule for stability of this function.

What do you think about "Bifurcation diagram"?

I don't know Bifurcation diagram exactly and I'm not sure if Bifurcation diagram can help me to analyze the stability of this function.

Your equation, with your given f, is linear. There exists a well developed theory of linear higher order difference equations, very similar to that of ode's. The equation can actually be solved exactly. The bottom line is that any solution is stable if the roots of the characteristic equation are all less than 1 in magnitude. Stable in this sense means either a stable fixed point or a stable orbit. I found a good little tutorial to get you started:

http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne/MathTutorial/SODF.HTM

What you quickly realize is that linear equations are rather boring. They can't do much. Change your parameters and you can get a change of stability, not much else. If you change your function f so that the equation is non-linear then you can get all sorts of interesting things but I know of no general result for higher order non-linear equations. Typically you would write code to play with it and get a feel for it first, then look at it more.

Dear alan,

Thanks for this useful link. The link you mentioned belongs to prof. Osborne and the interesting point is that currently I'm working on game theory and my function "f", is for a dynamic game! This link seems pretty good. Really thanks.

Thank you friends. I'm following your comments and notes.

You're welcome. Elaydi's "Intro to Difference Equations" is very thorough yet readable if you need more. If you google it you can find a downloadable pdf of the whole book.

smehdi said:
Currently I'm working on a bit different dynamic system that made me confused to determine the stability conditions for an arbitrary point, say "a". This dynamic system is:

[itex] x_{n+1}= x_n + \lambda \left( f(x_n, x_{n-1}) - f(x_{n-1}, x_{n-2})\right)[/itex].

this system is not only related to time "n", but also related to times "n-1" and "n-2".

Can anybody help me or give me clue to find the conditions?

Here, your difference equation is of order 3 (it connects 3 consequtive values of the series [itex]\lbrace x_n \rbrace[/itex]. It is equivalent to the following system of 3 simultaneous equations of order 1:
[tex]
\left\lbrace \begin{array}{rcl}
x_{n + 1} & = & x_n + \lambda \, \left( f(x_n, y_n) - f(y_n, z_n) \right) \equiv F(x_n, y_n, z_n) \\

y_{n + 1} & = & x_n \equiv G(x_n, y_n, z_n) \\

z_{n + 1} & = & y_n \equiv H(x_n, y_n, z_n)
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

A point [itex](\bar{x}, \bar{y}, \bar{z})[/itex] is fixed for this system when:
[tex]
\bar{x} & = & \bar{x} + \lambda \, \left( f(\bar{x}, \bar{y}) - f(\bar{y}, \bar{z}) \right) \\

\bar{y} & = & \bar{x} \\

\bar{z} & = & \bar{y}
\end{array} \right. \Leftrightarrow \bar{x} = \bar{x} + \lambda \, \left( f(\bar{x}, \bar{x}) - f(\bar{x}, \bar{x}) \right)
[/tex]
which is always satisfied!

The Jacobian of this system is:
[tex]
\frac{\partial(F, G, H)}{\partial(x, y, z)} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
1 + \lambda \, \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, y) & \lambda \, \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y) - \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(y, z) \right) & -\lambda \, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y, z) \\

1 & 0 & 0 \\

0 & 1 & 0
\end{array}\right| = - \lambda \, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y, z)
[/tex]

The fixed point is stable if the absolute value of this Jacobian is zero. In your case, whenever:
[tex]
\vert \lambda \, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(\bar{x}, \bar{x}) \vert < 1
[/tex]

Thanks Dickfore. I owe you big time!

When you said:
Dickfore said:
A point [itex](\bar{x}, \bar{y}, \bar{z})[/itex] is fixed for this system when:
[tex]
\bar{x} & = & \bar{x} + \lambda \, \left( f(\bar{x}, \bar{y}) - f(\bar{y}, \bar{z}) \right) \\

\bar{y} & = & \bar{x} \\

\bar{z} & = & \bar{y}
\end{array} \right. \Leftrightarrow \bar{x} = \bar{x} + \lambda \, \left( f(\bar{x}, \bar{x}) - f(\bar{x}, \bar{x}) \right)
[/tex]
which is always satisfied!

You mean this system always has a fixed point?

And this point is stable if we have the last condition (which is calculated based on Jacobian matrix)?

Yes, I mean every x is a fixed point of the system. Try it! And yes, when the derivative of f w.r.t. the second variable is smaller by absolute value than 1/|lambda|.

Dear Dickfore, another question. In the last condition:
Dickfore said:
The fixed point is stable if the absolute value of this Jacobian is zero. In your case, whenever:
[tex]
\vert \lambda \, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(\bar{x}, \bar{x}) \vert < 1
[/tex]

the function [itex]f[/itex] depends on [itex]\hat{x}[/itex], but how to calculate derivative respect to [itex]y[/itex]? I think the last condition can be written as the following condition too:
[tex]
\vert \lambda \, \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(\bar{x}, \bar{x}) \vert < 1
[/tex]
am I right?

No:

[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, x)
[/tex]
means you calculate the partial derivative of f w.r.t. to the second argument which you call y, and, after the differentiation you substitute [itex]y = x[/itex].

This is quite different from substituting [itex]y = x[/itex] in f, after which you get another function of x only:
[tex]
f(x, y = x) \equiv g(x)
[/tex]
and then to evaluate the derivative w.r.t. x.

1. What is a fixed point in terms of stability?

A fixed point in terms of stability is a point in a dynamical system where the values of all variables remain constant over time. In other words, it is a point where the system does not change or evolve.

2. Why is the stability of fixed points important in science?

The stability of fixed points is important in science because it helps us understand how a system behaves and whether it will reach a steady state or continue to change over time. It can also determine the behavior of a system in response to external stimuli.

3. How is the stability of fixed points determined?

The stability of fixed points is determined by analyzing the behavior of the system near the fixed point. This can be done by linearizing the system or using other mathematical techniques to determine the stability of the fixed point.

4. What are the types of stability for fixed points?

There are three types of stability for fixed points: stable, unstable, and marginally stable. A stable fixed point is one where the system will return to the fixed point after a small disturbance. An unstable fixed point is one where the system will move away from the fixed point after a small disturbance. A marginally stable fixed point is one where the system will neither return to nor move away from the fixed point after a small disturbance.

5. How does the stability of fixed points relate to chaos theory?

The stability of fixed points is closely related to chaos theory as it helps us understand the behavior of chaotic systems. Chaotic systems often have multiple fixed points and the stability of these points can determine the long-term behavior of the system. Additionally, the analysis of fixed points is an important part of understanding the dynamics of chaotic systems.