Can Trigonometric Identities Be Proven Using Different Methods?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equation tan^2∅/tan∅ - 1 + cot^2∅/cot∅ - 1 = 1 + sec∅cosec∅ using different methods. The conversation then shifts to discussing how to prove that the slopes of perpendicular lines on graph paper have a product equal to -1. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use trigonometric properties to find a relation between the angles of the two lines.
physics kiddy

Homework Statement

Prove that:
tan^2∅/tan∅ - 1 + cot^2∅/cot∅ - 1 = 1 + sec∅cosec∅

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the question taking tan∅ = sin∅/cos∅.
But I want to solve it some other way.

Physics news on Phys.org
What other way??
Why aren't you happy with your solution?

physics kiddy said:

Homework Statement

Prove that:
tan^2∅/tan∅ - 1 + cot^2∅/cot∅ - 1 = 1 + sec∅cosec∅

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the question taking tan∅ = sin∅/cos∅.
But I want to solve it some other way.
What you wrote for the left hand side is literally (tan^2∅/tan∅) - 1 + (cot^2∅/cot∅) - 1, which is equivalent to tan∅ + cot∅ - 2 .

Assuming that you meant [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\tan^2(\phi)}{\tan(\phi)-1}+\frac{\cot^2(\phi)}{\cot(\phi)-1}=1+\sec(\phi)\csc(\phi)\ ,[/itex]

yes there is another way. --- it's no better, but looks interesting enough. Even with it, eventually you will change tan to sin/cos or perhaps tan to sec/csc.

Change cot(ϕ) to 1/tan(ϕ) . Then multiply the numerator & denominator of the second fraction by -tan(ϕ) --- that will give you a common denominator. You can then get a difference of cubes in the numerator ...

Thanks, I got the answer. But I have got one more question:

How to prove that slopes of perpendicular lines on graph paper have a product equal to -1 ?

physics kiddy said:
Thanks, I got the answer. But I have got one more question:

How to prove that slopes of perpendicular lines on graph paper have a product equal to -1 ?
What is the angle(acute) between two lines of slopes say, m1 and m2?
When will they become perpendicular then?

Last edited:
No idea !

Okay hmm, try drawing out two lines with a general angle θ between them. Say the angle the first line makes with the positive x-axis is A and the second line makes an angle B, now try finding a trignometrical relation between θ, A and B. (Hint: use the property of external angles)

I have attached a pic. Tell me if it is like that.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 369
The x-axis is not necessarily where the two lines meet. So you can draw them cutting the x-axis at different points, and such that they intersect somewhere arbitarily on the xy plane, for the sake of a more general result.

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation involving trigonometric functions that is true for all values of the variables involved. These identities are important in solving trigonometry problems and simplifying expressions.

What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations.

How do you prove trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities can be proved using algebraic manipulation and substitution of known identities. Another method is to use geometric proofs, where the identities are proven based on the relationships between angles and sides of triangles.

Why are trigonometric identities important in mathematics?

Trigonometric identities are important in mathematics because they allow for the simplification of complex trigonometric expressions, making them easier to solve. These identities are also used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

What are some real-life applications of trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities have many real-life applications, including calculating distances and heights using angles and sides of triangles, analyzing sound and light waves, and predicting the movement of objects in circular motion such as planets and satellites.