Sphere spins faster at poles/axis?

• Thread starter KidWonder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, my science teacher says that a sphere will spin at a greater speed at it's poles. He says that the equator would spin the slowest.
KidWonder
My science teacher says that a sphere will spin at a greater speed at it's poles. He says that the equator would spin the slowest.

He says it's basic physics that speed=distance/time.

Poles have a shorter distance to make a revolution contrary to the equator therefore it would have a greater speed.

The exact Axis point will not spin at all.

I tell him that as the circumference of a circle increases, a single point along it has to travel faster to complete a revolution in the same amount of time.

Am I right or wrong?

Thanks Guys.
God bless

Physics news on Phys.org
All points on the sphere will have a constant angular velocity (which is the number of rotations per unit time), but the circumference (or equator) will have the fastest linear speed, since linear speed v is measured as r*w, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and w is the angular velocity that I mentioned earlier.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html

So yes, you are correct.

Zz.

Did your science teacher really say that? Complain to someone who can fire them or move to a different class/school. :)

Teacher said:
He says it's basic physics that speed=distance/time.

Yes. In fact, this is the definition of average velocity. And it does have less distance to go in the same amount of time. Therefore, its speed is lower, not higher. [itex]\vec{v}\ \alpha\ \Delta\vec{p}[/itex], so I don't see where your teacher is coming from.

Probably from a severe mixup of stuff. If a sphere has a certain Angular Momentum, and its radius suddenly decreases somehow, but Angular Momentum is conserved, its angular velocity will increase. So he might be thinking that points closer to the axis of rotation move more quickly?

Thanks Guys, I knew I was correct.

And Whovian, my science teacher actually said that it was basic physics that Velocity =distance/time .

I'll have too explain the reasoning to him, it feels really good to prove my teacher wrong.

Thanks again.

Is the sphere you're talking about rigid? Because, if it was a ball of gas, then, viscosity would cause points near the Equator to slow down, and points near the poles to have a bigger flow velocity, as compared to a rigid sphere. Thus, the angular speed of points near the equator would be lower than near the poles.

I think the OP refers to a simple, rigid sphere. As for the teacher's knlowledge...

Dickfore said:
Is the sphere you're talking about rigid? Because, if it was a ball of gas, then, viscosity would cause points near the Equator to slow down, and points near the poles to have a bigger flow velocity, as compared to a rigid sphere. Thus, the angular speed of points near the equator would be lower than near the poles.

Viscosity in the absence of some disturbance would lead to a fluid sphere at equilibrium rotating as a whole exactly like a solid sphere. Cyclonic weather patterns and such occur because the atmosphere is being pushed around by things like solar heating, which still might confuse him. Or perhaps he was somehow getting confused by the speeds of orbiting objects?

In any case, the teacher's position is unsalvageable, his own reasoning leads to a conclusion opposite of what he claims.

cjameshuff said:
Viscosity in the absence of some disturbance would lead to a fluid sphere at equilibrium rotating as a whole exactly like a solid sphere.
This is true.

cjameshuff said:
Cyclonic weather patterns and such occur because the atmosphere is being pushed around by things like solar heating, which still might confuse him.
Yes, or a nuclear reaction in the interior of the "ball"

cjameshuff said:
Or perhaps he was somehow getting confused by the speeds of orbiting objects?

In any case, the teacher's position is unsalvageable, his own reasoning leads to a conclusion opposite of what he claims.

The point is that he did not specify what the "sphere" was. When one uses terms like poles, and Equator, isn't it reminiscent of celestial bodies? Maybe the teacher was talking about the rotation of some celestial body, and the op pulled it out of context.

Sun rotates with different speed at the poles than at the equator, but the difference is in exactly opposite direction - it is fastest at the equator.

Dickfore said:
Maybe the teacher was talking about the rotation of some celestial body, and the op pulled it out of context.

Yea, something of the sort was one of my theories. Or perhaps the professor completely misspoke.

Borek said:
Sun rotates with different speed at the poles than at the equator, but the difference is in exactly opposite direction - it is fastest at the equator.

True, and i believe the same holds for Jupiter as well.

And likely the other Gas Giants. (What is the Sun but a giant Gas Giant that's massive enough to initiate nuclear fusion in its core?)

Perhaps the teacher was talking about an object on a rotating sphere moving from the equator to the poles. I suspect the teacher has been misquoted.

256bits said:
I suspect the teacher has been misquoted.

I understand that you believe a High School Physics teacher would not say this but he did. I know exactly what he said, and we had a brief 3 minute conversation about the subject after school. His reasoning was because of the smaller revolution distance at the pole, it would have a greater velocity. I disagreed.

My teacher graduated with a degree in Geology but somehow teaches Physics.

And I was talking about a Rigid sphere.

I've recently came across this scientific theory that the reason the Sun magnetic shift every decade or so, had something to do with it's poles and equator spinning different velocities.

Pretty cool, eh?

Dickfore said:
Well, here is the zonal wind speed distribution on Uranus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus#Banded_structure.2C_winds_and_clouds

The direction of rotation changes as you go to the Equator, and the magnitdue is smaller than at the poles.

Note that the graph goes only from -60 to +60 degrees of latitude, and that the according to the article the maximum wind speeds are at -60 and +60 and the
speeds decrease to 0 at the poles.

The wind speed must decrease to 0 at the poles, because you'd a very large acceleration to make the wind go round a small circle round the poles. This is the same reason there's an eye in a hurricane.

willem2 said:
The wind speed must decrease to 0 at the poles, because you'd a very large acceleration to make the wind go round a small circle round the poles. This is the same reason there's an eye in a hurricane.

I have read explanations based on the hairy ball theorem. There must be zero somewhere.

I understand that you believe a High School Physics teacher would not say this but he did. I know exactly what he said, and we had a brief 3 minute conversation about the subject after school. His reasoning was because of the smaller revolution distance at the pole, it would have a greater velocity. I disagreed.

I stand corrected.
You are correct and your teacher needs to update his science knowledge.

KidWonder said:

My teacher graduated with a degree in Geology but somehow teaches Physics.

And I was talking about a Rigid sphere.

I've recently came across this scientific theory that the reason the Sun magnetic shift every decade or so, had something to do with it's poles and equator spinning different velocities.

Pretty cool, eh?

Show him the Hyperphysics link I gave earlier.

If he makes a mistake on "basic physics", as he called it, what other mistakes has he been teaching?

Zz.

KidWonder said:
His reasoning was because of the smaller revolution distance at the pole, it would have a greater velocity.

Ask him to imagine he was trying to run fast enough westwards to keep the sun in the same apparent position. Would he rather try this at the equator or a few metres from the North pole?

1. Why does a sphere spin faster at its poles or axis?

This is due to the conservation of angular momentum. As a sphere spins, its rotational velocity is constant, but its linear velocity increases as it moves towards the equator. This causes the sphere to appear to spin faster at the poles or axis.

2. Is the speed of a sphere's rotation at its poles or axis significantly different than at the equator?

The speed of a sphere's rotation at its poles or axis is slightly faster than at the equator, but the difference is very small. This is because the Earth's rotational velocity is relatively slow compared to its size.

3. How does the Coriolis effect play a role in the speed of a sphere's rotation at its poles or axis?

The Coriolis effect is a result of the Earth's rotation and its impact on moving objects. As a sphere spins faster at its poles or axis, the Coriolis effect causes objects to appear to curve to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

4. Are there any other factors besides the Earth's rotation that contribute to a sphere spinning faster at its poles or axis?

Yes, the distribution of mass within a sphere can also affect its rotational velocity. A more compact and dense mass distribution can lead to a faster rotation at the poles or axis, while a less compact distribution can lead to a slower rotation at the poles or axis.

5. Does the speed of a sphere's rotation at its poles or axis have any impact on daily life?

The slight difference in rotational speed at the poles or axis does not have a significant impact on daily life. However, it does play a role in large-scale phenomena such as ocean currents and weather patterns, which are affected by the Coriolis effect.