Beam bending, overhang with 2 concentrated loads

In summary, the homework statement is that the center of a beam supported at two locations is subjected to two equal loads at the end points. The equation for the deflection of the beam is M(x) = E*I*W"(X) and the equation for the deflection at the center is M(x) = F(1+\frac{x}{a+L})*(a+L) with x left from the center and M(x) = F(1-\frac{x}{a+L})*(a+L) with x right from the center. The problem is that the student is not sure of the result for the maximum deflection. If this is what you did, it
SolMech

Homework Statement

A beam supported at two locations is subjected to two equal loads at the end points
Compute the central deflection W.

Schematic:

[itex]\downarrow[/itex]........[itex]\downarrow[/itex]

The delta's are the supports the arrows the forces F and a & L distances

Homework Equations

M(x) = E*I*W"(X)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I try to formulate the momentum along the beam. x = 0 at the center of the beam.

I thought it would be zero at the points where the Forces are, and maximum at the center.
So I came up with:

M(x) = F(1+[itex]\frac{x}{a+L}[/itex])*(a+L) with x left from the center and

M(x) = F(1-[itex]\frac{x}{a+L}[/itex])*(a+L) with x right from the center.

w" = EI/M(x)
Integrating this twice should yield the result:
w'(x) = [itex]\frac{F}{2EI}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{F}{EI}[/itex](a+L)x + C

But w'(0) = 0 so C = 0

integrating once more gives:
w(x) = [itex]\frac{F}{6EI}[/itex]x[itex]^{3}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{F}{EI}[/itex](a+L)x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + C

solving for C with w(L)=0 gives: C = - [itex]\frac{FL^{2}}{EI}[/itex]([itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{2L}{3}[/itex])

which therefore should be the max deflection, because at x=0 deflection is max and w(0) = C

The problem is I have no way to check my result, and I'm not quite sure of the result. Could someone check me and explain me where I went wrong (if so)

Physics news on Phys.org
SolMech said:
M(x) = F(1+[itex]\frac{x}{a+L}[/itex])*(a+L) with x left from the center and
Could you explain how you arrive at that, please? I'm not saying it's wrong...

With the argument that it should be zero at the force and maximum at the midpoint, I determined them to be linear in between, so that with negative x, M(x) goes from x= -a-l -> M(-(a+L))=0 to x=0 giving M(0)=F(a+L).

Also I see that i did not integrate right, forgot some constants, but the problem lies mainly in the determination of the momentum along the beam, the rest is straightforward I guess.

SolMech said:
With the argument that it should be zero at the force and maximum at the midpoint, I determined them to be linear in between, so that with negative x, M(x) goes from x= -a-l -> M(-(a+L))=0 to x=0 giving M(0)=F(a+L).
I approached it by actually taking moments. For a point x left of centre, x < L, there's an anticlockwise moment F(x+L) from the support and a clockwise one F(x+L+a) from the load. Doesn't that make the bending moment Fa for all x between the supports? Beyond the supports it's F(L+a-x).

I'm not sure how you determined these moments.. What do you mean by: "I approached it by actually taking moments". Did you divide the problem into halfs and used M = F*x,
and then used that if there is a load F, the support gives a reaction force F?

If this is what you did, it is still not obvious for me how you arrived at the moments from this.

Ah never mind! Got it, thank you for your help!

1. What is beam bending?

Beam bending is a phenomenon in which a beam, or a long structural element, experiences deformation due to the application of external loads. When a beam is subjected to bending, it undergoes both compression and tension, resulting in a curved shape.

2. What is an overhang in beam bending?

An overhang in beam bending refers to the section of a beam that extends beyond its support points. This can create additional stresses on the beam and affect its overall structural integrity.

3. What are concentrated loads in beam bending?

Concentrated loads, also known as point loads, are external forces or weights that are applied at a specific point on a beam. These loads can cause localized stress and deformation in the beam, especially in areas where the load is applied.

4. How do you calculate the bending moment in a beam with 2 concentrated loads?

To calculate the bending moment in a beam with 2 concentrated loads, you can use the equation M = WL/4, where M is the maximum bending moment, W is the total load applied to the beam, and L is the length of the beam. You must also consider the distance of each load from the support points and their respective magnitudes.

5. How can I prevent overhang failure in beam bending?

To prevent overhang failure in beam bending, it is important to use appropriate materials and design the beam with sufficient strength to withstand the expected loads. Additionally, reinforcing the overhang section with additional supports or using a cantilever beam design can help distribute the load and prevent failure.