How many cubic feet of gaseous hydrogen are in one gallon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of gaseous hydrogen in one gallon of liquid hydrogen, taking into consideration various factors such as temperature and atmospheric pressure. The density of liquid hydrogen is mentioned as 67.80 kg/m³, which can be used to calculate the number of moles of hydrogen and the resulting volume of gaseous hydrogen. It is estimated that there are approximately 4L of gaseous hydrogen per gallon of liquid hydrogen, with each mole of hydrogen producing around 23L or 5.5 gallons of gas. The individual also mentions their intention to use hydrogen as a lifting gas in small balloons and apologizes for not using the metric system.
GTeclips
Hello.

I'm just wondering how many cubic feet of gaseous hydrogen are in one gallon of liquid hydrogen. I know I'm not being too specific and that many variables are involved (temperature, atmospheric pressure... etc), but approximately how many are in a gallon? And yes, I have checked Google. I have found nothing useful.

I wish to perform small scale experiments with hydrogen as a lifting gas in small balloons, in case you're curious.

Sorry for not using metric, I'm used to U.S.

Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, the density of liquid hydrogen is 67.80 kg/m³. From this value, you can find the number of moles of hydrogen in a gallon of liquid hydrogen, and from that number you can calculate the volume of gaseous hydrogen at your specified temperature and pressure.

Without being too precise, there about 4L per gallon. Each mole of hydrogen (2g) should produce about 23 L of gas or 5.5 gal. You will need to determine the volume in cubic feet per gallon.

1. What is the amount of gas in a gallon of hydrogen?

The amount of gas in a gallon of hydrogen is approximately 0.133 kilograms or 133 grams. This is equivalent to 119.2 liters of gas or 31.5 gallons.

2. How is gas measured in a gallon of hydrogen?

Gas in a gallon of hydrogen is typically measured in terms of weight, rather than volume. This is because hydrogen is a gas and can expand or contract based on temperature and pressure, making volume measurements less accurate.

3. Is a gallon of hydrogen gas flammable?

Yes, a gallon of hydrogen gas is highly flammable. It is important to handle and store hydrogen gas with caution to avoid any potential fire hazards.

4. Can a gallon of hydrogen gas be used as a fuel source?

Yes, a gallon of hydrogen gas can be used as a fuel source. It is commonly used as a clean and renewable energy source in fuel cells, which convert the gas into electricity.

5. How does the cost of a gallon of hydrogen gas compare to other fuels?

The cost of a gallon of hydrogen gas is currently higher than traditional fossil fuels, but it is expected to decrease as technology advances and production increases. Additionally, the use of hydrogen gas as a fuel source is more environmentally friendly and sustainable in the long run.