Potential energy of pendulum in terms of displacement.

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with writing the potential energy of a 1D pendulum in terms of displacement. They mention struggling to find a solution that is not "dreadful". However, they later realize that their professor used a Taylor approximation and it is not as complicated as they thought. The individual clarifies that they meant a 1D pendulum oscillating in one direction and not a 2D pendulum. They also mention studying physics and seeking help with solving a problem involving coupled harmonic oscillators.
Nuclearturtle
Hi guys, I'm having troubles finding how to write the potential energy of a 1D pendulum down. In terms of displacement however. This should be easy and it is, but my professor had this nice "clean" solution whereas mine is really dreadfull, any help? :)

edit: Ok nvm guys. I was thinking I went crazy for not finding it, since I almost have my physics license. But my professor used a Taylor approximation, nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way this is not homework, just a serious question to try to solve coupled harmonic oscillators :(

hi, turtle :) welcome to physicsforums

Do you still have a question about pendulums? I agree Taylor approximation is the way to go. (That's why they say 'for small angles'). Also, do you mean 2D pendulum. And what's a physics license?!

I meant a 1D pendulum in the sense that it only oscilates in one (!) direction. Of course this could represent a real 3D pendulum oscillating along just one axis.

Concerning the physics license, I didn't know how to sai it right, I meant physics degree or something like that. Let's just say I'm studying physics! This being the reason why I was so concerned not finding this "easy" solution :)

Thx for offering help anyway!

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your frustration in trying to find a clean solution for the potential energy of a 1D pendulum in terms of displacement. However, it is important to remember that there are often many different ways to approach a problem and it is not uncommon for different individuals to come up with different solutions.

In this case, it seems like your professor used a Taylor approximation to simplify the potential energy equation. While this may seem like a "cleaner" solution, it is important to keep in mind that both solutions are valid and can provide useful insights into the behavior of the pendulum.

Additionally, it is always helpful to discuss your approach with others and see if they have any suggestions for improvement. Collaboration and open-mindedness are key components of scientific research and can lead to new and innovative solutions.

I hope this helps alleviate some of your concerns and I wish you the best of luck in your studies. Keep up the good work!

1. What is potential energy of a pendulum?

The potential energy of a pendulum is the energy that is stored in the system due to the position of the pendulum. It is directly related to the displacement of the pendulum from its equilibrium position.

2. How is potential energy of a pendulum calculated?

The potential energy of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum's center of mass above its equilibrium position.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and displacement of a pendulum?

The potential energy of a pendulum is directly proportional to the displacement of the pendulum. This means that as the displacement increases, so does the potential energy, and vice versa.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its potential energy?

The potential energy of a pendulum is inversely proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the potential energy of a pendulum be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the potential energy of a pendulum can be converted into kinetic energy as the pendulum swings back and forth. It can also be converted into thermal energy due to friction and air resistance.