Capacitance of cylindrical shells

In summary, the capacitance of a cylindrical shell can be calculated using the formula for same length cylinders, but there is a change in the formula when the lengths of the cylinders differ due to the fringe effect. The exact formula for calculating the capacitance in this scenario is not provided, but it can be found through further research.
muthukrishnan
I know the capacitance of cylindrical shell formula if both cylinder length is same.If cylinders length differs between which the dielctric is sandwitched what is the formula to calculte the capacitance?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think it would be? How would you expect the capacitance to be different?

Capcitance cylindrical shell

Definetly it will be more .I would like to knowwhat is the formula and how to find the same.

I am not finding anay answer.Due fringe effect the capacitance will be more compred to same length cylinders equal to short length.Can anyone tell me the formula for the same

All this formula I know.These will workout when both cylinder lengths are same.My question is when there is change in lendth there will be charges dude to fringe effect.Is there any formula to apply during such condition

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a material or object to store electrical energy in the form of an electric charge.

How is capacitance measured?

Capacitance is measured in a unit called the Farad (F), which is equal to one coulomb of charge per volt of potential difference.

What is the capacitance of a cylindrical shell?

The capacitance of a cylindrical shell is dependent on its dimensions, material properties, and the medium surrounding it. It can be calculated using the formula C = 2πε0εrl / ln(b/a), where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material, l is the length of the cylinder, b is the outer radius, and a is the inner radius.

How does the length of the cylindrical shell affect its capacitance?

The longer the cylindrical shell, the higher the capacitance will be. This is because the longer the shell, the larger the surface area available for storing electric charge.

What factors affect the capacitance of a cylindrical shell?

The main factors that affect the capacitance of a cylindrical shell are its length, radius, material properties, and the medium surrounding it. Other factors that may have an impact include temperature, frequency of the electric field, and the presence of other nearby conductors.