Can't understand. Please help

• Thread starter omul_b
  • Start date
In summary: This is because the capacitor can no longer change its voltage to match that of the source. In summary, the conversation discusses a tool called a circuit tester, which is used to check for voltage in outlets. The tester contains a neon bulb that lights up when it is in an electromagnetic field and is modified by body capacitance. The conversation also touches on the human body acting as a capacitor and how a capacitor completes a series circuit.
omul_b
Ciao all. I have kind of a basic question but i don't really understand how it works. I don't know how it's named in english, but maybe "voltage controller". It's a screwdriver with a small light bulb that is used to see if there is voltage, on an outlet for example. You plug it into the "phase"(hot) wire hole and press your thumb against a metalic end at the end of the handle and if there is voltage the bulb lights up. So here's the question, how does it work? how do you complete the circuit. Maybe a small schematic please. I know it may be a simple question so pleasez enlighten me! 10x

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, Omul_b.
We just call those circuit testers. I've worked only with DC ones, and they have to be grounded. All that I can think of in the case that you're talking about is that it must be some sort of gas-discharge bulb that lights when it's in an EM field and modified by body capacitance. I really don't know, though.

It is most likely a neon bulb inside the tester. Either the body capacitance or the actual path back through ground completes the circuit.

I don't know about DC ones, but this one is not grounded, and it isn't a neon bulb (or i don't think so). It just looks like an ordinary light bulb. I still don't understand. Anyone ??

I SERIOUSLY doubt it is a regular incandescent bulb.

Look at the glass bulb and see if there are two small, parallel electrodes inside. If so, it's a neon buld and works as Averagesupernova says where you body completes the path back to ground. The current through the circuit is very small but the potential difference across the two electrodes causes the neon to glow.

Regards

I noticed that if i wear rubber boots on my feet the light is not that strong (BTW you were right, it's a neon bulb). And, for that matter, please tell me:
1) I've heard a lot of stuff about the human body behaving like a "capacitor". How does this happen ? I mean if you connect a capacitor at one end of a circuit it wouldn't gather anything, would it? I mean there is no voltage across it. It's just like the birds standing on the electrical wire.
2) If i were perfectly isolated from the ground, would it light up ?
10x in advance and sorry about all the questions :)

Capacitors conduct current from A.C. sources. Your body is one side of the cap and the ground is the other.

brief question in between~~

How does a capacitor complete a series circuit?
both sides of the capacitor is not connected... how does electrons flow? or does it even flow across the capacitor?

if a battery positive terminal is connected to a resistor, then the resistor is connected to a capacitor, which is connected back to the negative terminal of the battery, would there be current through the resistor?

sorry for the interruption~

sorry for the interruption~

You should start a new thread on this.

if a battery positive terminal is connected to a resistor, then the resistor is connected to a capacitor, which is connected back to the negative terminal of the battery, would there be current through the resistor?

In a resistor-capacitor charging circuit, capacitor voltage goes from nothing to full source voltage while current goes from maximum to zero, both variables changing most rapidly at first, approaching their final values slower and slower as time goes on. Current through the circuit is determined by the difference in voltage between the battery and the capacitor, divided by the resistance. As the capacitor voltage approaches the battery voltage, the current approaches zero. After a capacitor has fully charged (to the level of the volatge source), it acts as a open circuit (voltage drop with no current)

Last edited:

1. Why am I having trouble understanding this?

There could be several reasons why you are having trouble understanding something. It could be due to the complexity of the topic, lack of background knowledge, or unclear explanations. It is important to identify the specific issue and address it accordingly.

2. How can I improve my understanding?

Improving your understanding can be done through various methods such as studying the topic in-depth, seeking clarification from others, breaking down complex concepts, and practicing problem-solving. It is also important to stay focused and motivated while learning.

3. What resources can I use to help me understand?

There are many resources available to help you understand a topic, including textbooks, online articles, videos, and courses. It is important to choose reliable sources and find the ones that best suit your learning style.

4. Is it normal to not understand something?

Yes, it is normal to not understand something at first. Everyone learns at their own pace and some topics may be more challenging than others. The important thing is to not get discouraged and keep trying to understand.

5. Can I ask for help if I can't understand something?

Of course! Asking for help is a crucial part of the learning process. You can reach out to your teacher, classmates, or even seek help online. It is important to be specific about what you are struggling with so that others can provide effective assistance.