A question from Weinberg's qft book

• Thread starter bugl0ver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qft
In summary: In it he goes through the canonical quantization of the free electromagnetic field. It is very clear. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum field theory and the confusion surrounding its understanding. The participants recommend different resources, such as Zee's book and Dirac's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics, to gain a better understanding of the topic. They also mention the fundamental differences between quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, such as the constant number of particles in QM versus the ability for particles to be created and annihilated in QFT.
bugl0ver
can anybody tell me how to induce the quantum field theory
as long as you admit the quantum mechanics and the reletivity?
it seems that in Weinberg's book ,he shows that,but i can not
quite understand:confused:
thank you :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, we really cannot help you if you state your question like this. You need to be a whole lot more specific. What exactly do you want to know ? What concept are you not gettin' ? Please give some reference to a formula, approach, a "name", ... Also tell us something about your situation : are you a college student ?, undergrad ?, How's your QM and special relativity knowledge ?

regards
marlon

ps : i urge you not to use Weinberg's book to study intro QFT. Have you considered Zee's book (QFT in a Nutshell) ? Are you doing this in college ?

re

i am a student learning theoretical physics.and i hav read some chapters
of Zee's book.and i think i can follow his idea rather than Weinberg:tongue2:
What i mean is that in many books such like Peskin's just tell us how to
calculate,and it induce the qft so abruptly.
So i think Wein's book will helpful.Maybe my question looks ugly and i think i get my answer myself now.
but what i want to know now is that is qft just a tool in some sence?
thank you:biggrin:

QFT is the theoretical model to describe the interactions of many particle systems, caracterized by the fact that the total number of particles does not need to be a constant. This actually is what the "second quantisation" is all about. Particles can be created and annihilated. The biggest difference between QM and QFT is

1) in QM, the total number of particles is constant
2) In QFT, the fundamental property are the FIELDS while in QM they are the wavefunctions.

There are several quantum field theories like QED (describes the EM interaction), QCD (describes the strong force), etc etc

marlon

edit : check out this thread for further clarification

You can get QFT by simply applying canonical quantization to classical fields. There's nothing more to it.

Daniel.

Hi,

I recommend Dirac's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics. It is about 5 bucks and is well worth it. The 2nd lecture is "The Problem of Quantization".

1. What is the significance of Weinberg's QFT book in the field of science?

Weinberg's QFT book is considered a landmark in the field of quantum field theory. It presents a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of the subject, making it a valuable resource for researchers and students alike.

2. Is Weinberg's QFT book suitable for beginners?

No, Weinberg's QFT book is not recommended for beginners. It is a highly advanced and technical book that assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics.

3. What are some key topics covered in Weinberg's QFT book?

Weinberg's QFT book covers a wide range of topics, including the principles of quantum mechanics, special relativity, gauge fields, and renormalization. It also delves into advanced topics such as the Higgs mechanism and the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. Is Weinberg's QFT book still relevant today?

Yes, Weinberg's QFT book is still highly relevant today. The principles and theories presented in the book are still widely used and studied in modern physics research.

5. Can Weinberg's QFT book be used as a reference for research?

Yes, Weinberg's QFT book is often used as a reference for research in the field of quantum field theory. Its thorough and rigorous treatment of the subject makes it a valuable resource for researchers in the field.