What are the methods for solving impulse and momentum problems?

• Thread starter mikejones2000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems, one involving a bat hitting a baseball and the other involving an impulsive force graph. The first problem involves finding the mass of the ball using the equation J=deltaP, while the second problem involves finding the magnitude of the impulse delivered to the ball by calculating the area of a triangle on the force vs. time graph. The conversation also mentions using SI units and reminds the individual to consider vector quantities for the first problem.
mikejones2000
I am currently stuck on two problems:
#1 A bat hits a moving baseball. If the bat delivers a net eastward impulse of 0.9 N-s and the ball starts with an initial horizontal velocity of 3.8 m/s to the west and leaves with a 5.3 m/s velocity to the east, what is the mass of the ball (in grams)?

I set J=deltaP
.9=95.3+3.8)m
m=.9/(5.3+3.8).

#The second problem has a force vs. time for an impulsive force graph and asks: The force shown in the figure below is the net eastward force acting on a ball. The force starts rising at t=0.012 s, falls back to zero at t=0.062 s, and reaches a maximum force of 35 N at the peak. Determine with an error no bigger than 25% (high or low) the magnitude of the impulse (in N-s) delivered to the ball. Hint: Do not use J = FΔt. Look at the figure. Find the area of a nearly equally sized triangle.

I am sure tthis problem is very simple but do not have a confident approach for some reason, I presume I find the time when it peaks at 35 N(.062-.012) and use this as my base? Then I would apply A=.5(35)(.062-.012)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you methods are correct, is there a problem with you answers?

Also if this graph is the graph for the basball and bat in part one the area of your approximate triangle should be approximately .9Ns

I got 0.0989 for the first problem, I am not sure if its in kilograms or grams and
0.875 for the second one. I know I got at least one problem out of the three assigned and presume it has to be one of these because the other is a multiple choice problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you're using SI units for your working it will be Kg.

With regards to question 1 remember that delta p is pf - pi. Also these are vector quantities but I think you've taken that into account just a reminder.

For question 2 if they say use a triangle then use a triangle it should be fine. The area under the curve would normally be determined by the integral of F(t) but since its not given the triangle method should give a fair approximation.

Last edited:

What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. It is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time it is applied. Momentum, on the other hand, is the mass of an object multiplied by its velocity. It is a measure of an object's motion and is always conserved in a closed system.

How is impulse related to force and time?

Impulse is directly proportional to both force and time. This means that a greater force applied over a longer period of time will result in a larger impulse. Conversely, a smaller force applied over a shorter period of time will result in a smaller impulse.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that the total amount of momentum in a system remains constant, regardless of any interactions or collisions that may occur within the system.

How are impulse and momentum related to collisions?

In a collision, the impulse experienced by an object is equal to the change in its momentum. This is known as the impulse-momentum theorem. The object will experience a change in velocity and therefore a change in momentum due to the force applied during the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In inelastic collisions, kinetic energy is not conserved and some energy is lost as heat or sound. Momentum is still conserved in both types of collisions.