Can You Help Me Solve These Trigonometric Integrals?

In summary: The answer is:\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^1 x \, dx = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^2 x \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^3 x \, dx = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^4 x \, dx = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^5 x In summary, the two problems that I've been unable to solve are related to integrating powers of the sin function. The first problem is integrating powers of the sin function that are odd, while the second problem is integrating powers of
noboost4you
I've been able to do all of them up until these two:

1) [tex] \int x\cos^{2}x dx [/tex]

and

2) [tex] \int [/tex] from [tex]-\pi[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex] of [tex] \sin^{137}x dx [/tex]

I've been using half angle formulas where (cos x)^2 = (1/2)(1 + cos 2x) and (sin x)^2 = (1/2)(1 - cos 2x)

I just can't figure those two out. Any help would be highly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some hints:

1) Do you know how to integrate [itex]\int x e^x \, dx[/itex]?

2) A large number (like 137) is often a hint that there's something more interesting at stake. Try some smaller powers and see if you can recognize a pattern, and then prove it.

P.S. if you were wondering how to make the integral, it's this:

[tex]
\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^{137} x \, dx
[/tex]

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Here's some hints:

1) Do you know how to integrate [itex]\int x e^x \, dx[/itex]?

If this was last semester, yes, but now I can't remember. I know [tex]\int e^x \, dx[/tex] equals [tex]e^x + c[/tex]. Substitution plays a role, but I just can't see how.

2) A large number (like 137) is often a hint that there's something more interesting at stake. Try some smaller powers and see if you can recognize a pattern, and then prove it.

I got nothing. Not even a hunch.

1) Do you remember integration by parts?

2) So what smaller powers have you tried and what were the values of the integrals?

1) Do you remember integration by parts?

Yes, let me try to solve your equation now.

[itex]\int x e^x \, dx[/itex]

u = [tex]x[/tex] du = [tex]dx[/tex]
dv = [tex]e^x[/tex] v = [tex]e^x[/tex]

Therefore [itex]\int x e^x \, dx[/itex] = [tex]x e^x - \int e^x dx[/tex] which in turn equals [tex]x e^x - 2x e^x + 2x + c[/tex]

Correct?

2) So what smaller powers have you tried and what were the values of the integrals?

[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^{137} x \, dx[/tex] = [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^{135} x \sin^{2} x \, dx[/tex] and [tex]\sin^{2} x = 1/2(1 - \cos 2x)[/tex]

I'm slowly getting it. Thanks for the help as far.

Back to #1 [tex] \int x\cos^{2}x dx [/tex]

u = [tex]x[/tex] du = [tex]dx[/tex]
dv = [tex]\cos^{2} x[/tex] v = [tex]\sin^{2} x[/tex]

= [tex]x \sin^{2} x - \int \sin^{2} x dx[/tex]
= [tex]x \sin^{2} x - (1/2)\int (1 - \cos 2x) dx[/tex]
= [tex]x \sin^{2} x - (x/2) - ( \sin 2x / 4) + c[/tex]

how's that look?

Well, [itex]x e^x - \int e^x \, dx = x e^x - e^x + C[/itex], but I think you knew that and just made a typo. And you should really always include the [itex]dx[/itex] part, so you say that [itex]dv = e^x \, dx[/itex].

Now, when you attacked your actual problem, you have [itex]dv = \cos^2 x \, dx[/itex]. You got [itex]v = sin^2 x[/itex], but that doesn't work because [itex]dv = 2 \sin x \cos x \, dx[/itex]! Remember this says that the derivative of [itex]v[/itex] has to be [itex]\cos^2 x[/itex], so we need to integrate to find [itex]v[/itex]! In other words:

[tex]v = \int \cos^2 x \, dx[/tex]

For problem 2:

There is a really "obvious" method for this problem that takes advantage of the shape of your integrand and the domain of integration... one you'll recognize with a little practice. I'm trying not to spoil the exercise by just giving you the answer, which is why I'm suggesting to try some small cases; I want you to find:

[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^1 x \, dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^2 x \, dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^3 x \, dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^4 x \, dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^5 x \, dx[/tex]

That should probably be enough to see the relevant pattern.

(Just to check, you have learned how to integrate odd powers of the sine function right?)

Well, [itex]x e^x - \int e^x \, dx = x e^x - e^x + C[/itex], but I think you knew that and just made a typo. And you should really always include the [itex]dx[/itex] part, so you say that [itex]dv = e^x \, dx[/itex].

Now, when you attacked your actual problem, you have [itex]dv = \cos^2 x \, dx[/itex]. You got [itex]v = sin^2 x[/itex], but that doesn't work because [itex]dv = 2 \sin x \cos x \, dx[/itex]! Remember this says that the derivative of [itex]v[/itex] has to be [itex]\cos^2 x[/itex], so we need to integrate to find [itex]v[/itex]! In other words:

[tex]v = \int \cos^2 x \, dx[/tex]

[tex]v = \int \cos^2 x \, dx[/tex] = [tex]x/2 + \sin 2x/4[/tex] ??

For problem 2:

There is a really "obvious" method for this problem that takes advantage of the shape of your integrand and the domain of integration... one you'll recognize with a little practice. I'm trying not to spoil the exercise by just giving you the answer, which is why I'm suggesting to try some small cases; I want you to find:

(Just to check, you have learned how to integrate odd powers of the sine function right?)

Basically what you're saying is that no matter the number sine is raised to, the integrand between [tex]-\pi[/tex] and [tex]\pi[/tex] will always be the same?? Therefore I should just use [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^2 x \, dx[/tex] and solve that? Yes? Maybe? Not even close? Slowly, but surely

For problem 2:

They all equal zero

∫xcos^2x dx = x[0.5(x + sin2x/2)] - ∫[0.5(x + sin2x/2)]dx

= ... - (x^2/4 - cos[2x]/8)

Yyou got v right.

Actually, only the odd powers of sin turn out to integrate to zero (and 137 is an odd power); can you figure out why?

Simply it is an odd function and they are symmetrical w.r.t Origin or in (I &III) coordinate hence one portion will be above x-axis and other below x-axis with equal magnitude hence the result would be zero

1. What is a trigonometric integral?

A trigonometric integral is an integral that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions. It is a type of integral that is commonly used in calculus and is often used to solve problems involving curves and angles.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric integral?

To solve a trigonometric integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. The key is to identify which technique is most suitable for the given integral and then apply it to solve the integral.

3. Can trigonometric integrals be solved using a calculator?

Yes, some trigonometric integrals can be solved using a calculator. However, not all integrals can be solved using a calculator, and it is important to understand the concepts and techniques used to solve these integrals manually.

4. What are some real-life applications of trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to solve problems involving curves, angles, and periodic phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the position of a planet in orbit.

5. Are there any tips for solving tricky trigonometric integrals?

Yes, here are some tips for solving tricky trigonometric integrals:

• Try to simplify the integral using trigonometric identities.
  • Look for patterns or symmetries that can help you solve the integral.
  • Use substitution to change the integral into a more manageable form.
  • Don't forget to check your answer using differentiation.