Change of variables - transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the image of a set under a given transformation. The transformation involves n equations for n coordinates and can be written as new coordinates as functions of old coordinates. To find the image of a set, one can use the boundary curves in cartesian coordinates and plug them into the transformation functions. The resulting images form a closed curve, which contains the image of the set. An example from the textbook "Calculus: Early Vectors, Preliminary Edition Volume III" is given as an illustration. The person also mentions their struggles with the concept and their reliance on the textbook due to their teacher's lack of proficiency.
wakingrufus
im working on these, and I am supposed to find the image of a set under a given transformation. can someone please explain to me a good way of doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since no one else has attempted an answer, I will give it a try. Just keep in mind that I am not an expert. I will be using A textbook by Stewart called "Calculus: Early Vectors, Preliminary Edition Volume III"

The transformation is defined as a set of n equations for n coordinates. If you are going from cartesian coordinates, xi, to some other coordinates, qj, then the transformation is of the form:

qj = fj({xi})

That is, the new coordinates can be expressed as functions of the old coordinates.

To find an image of a set, I'm assuming that you want to find the image of some bounded region, my text suggests to find the images of the boundary curves. So, You would have equations for the boundary curves in the cartesian coordinates, and you plug those into the functions, fj({xi}). This will give you the images of the boundary curves, and then the region containes inside these images is the image of the set. I don't know how you should know that the images of the boundary curves form a closed curve, but it seems intuitively reasonable.

I can give you an example out of my text if what I have described is in fact what you wanted.

ok thanks. i think I got it now. my test was a bit hard to swallow on this section. "calculus: fourth edition" by James stewart. my teacher isn't good so i have to learn from the text :(

1. What is a change of variables in mathematics?

A change of variables, also known as a transformation, is a mathematical process where the variables in a function or equation are replaced with new variables. This allows for a different perspective or representation of the original problem.

2. Why is a change of variables useful?

A change of variables can be useful in simplifying complex equations, making them easier to solve. It can also help in visualizing a problem in a different way, leading to new insights and solutions. Additionally, it can be used to transform a problem into a standard form for easier analysis.

3. What are the common types of change of variables?

The most commonly used types of change of variables are linear transformations, logarithmic transformations, and trigonometric transformations. These can be applied to a single variable or multiple variables in a function.

4. How do I know which change of variables to use?

The choice of a change of variables depends on the specific problem at hand. It is important to identify the main goal of the transformation, whether it is to simplify the equation, make it easier to solve, or to visualize the problem in a different way. In some cases, trial and error may be necessary to determine the most suitable transformation.

5. Can a change of variables change the nature of a problem?

Yes, a change of variables can significantly alter the nature of a problem. It can make a seemingly difficult problem more approachable or turn an unsolvable problem into a solvable one. However, it is important to ensure that the new problem is equivalent to the original problem and that the transformation is valid.